Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Color Case 357

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Color Case 357

Post by bmsma » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 pm

BigAl52 wrote:I think if I could find one in a carbine I would have one also.
im curious to how the balance feels with the carbine as well, i can say for me the 20in cch felt as nimble as my bb brass carbine 16.5, so while the 20 in brass feels kinda muzzle heavy for me the cch 20 did not.

but gun broken show 0 cch carbine anywhere as of yet.

on the 73 i called and talked to one of the reps from taylor firearms about the uberti 73's, there response kinda surprised me in a way but thye seemed honest, that while the 73 was a fine rifle and for sass work like greased lighting a steady diet of med to high pressure loads wasnt realy its cup of tea and that the 92 would be a stronger action. i did explain that i do enjoy shooting and it would possible be 500-1000/ month,
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 am

No argument from me. The 92 is definitely a stronger action than a 73 there is no comparison. But if your going to run a steady diet of heavy loads in the 73 it will handle it for a while and it will eventually shoot loose more than likely. But Uberti also says it will handle any of the over the counter 357 ammo. I dont shoot full power loads in any of my levers no matter what action they are. I use 5.6 grs of 231 and a 158 gr round nose Berrys bullet. JeBar hunts with his I dont. If I hunted with one of mine I would probably do the same as he does. One might keep in mind here these gun people see alot of people who abuse things and run loads exceeding the books. When someone asked them a question about a load and a gun there answers are often on the conservative side to cover there hind end.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am

the sass loads we are reloading now theses are 38 sp are 2.6grs of unique with a 125 gr round nose, very light and manageable one handed out of my vaqueros and my rossi cycles them well. and im not wanting to load real hot at all, in 357 mag im looking at something i can use like a LEVERevolution - Hornady at 1400 fps or remmy 125 jhp at 1400fps. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html shows rounds like these hitting 2000 fsp from a 18 in barrel, these would be the top side of what i would use with the rare rare exception if i ever get hog hunt. when i do get into realoding more now i will be working up a lighter range load, but even then i kinda believe one should practice at least 50 percent of the time with the load you intend to use.
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:03 am

just checked gb and they show no 357 carbines yet, but there are a cpl 44mag and 45 lc so they are making it into distribution now
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 am

BigAl52 wrote:JeBar hunts with his I dont. If I hunted with one of mine I would probably do the same as he does.
back in '94 or '95 we gave both of sons Ruger GP100 357 revolvers with 6" barrels .... as Al notes, we do hunt with them .... from day one, our hunting load has been 14.8 gr of W296 pushing Nosler 158 gr JHP bullets .... our preference is for Starline brass and CCI primers but we honestly can't tell any difference when using other brands .... both deer and boar have been taken with this load, recovered bullets have proven they perform as advertised .... I have carried it when hunting black bear as a backup but haven't ever fired it at a bear .... for that I prefer a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag as a primary weapon when bear hunting .... in our Henry BBS 357, this load performs well .... I haven't had an opportunity to hunt with it but based on range performance I wouldn't hesitate to take on a deer or boar out to 100 +/- yards
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:33 pm

mine will mostly be a range rifle but im hopeing to get back into coyotes and hog hunting, hogs are getting real bad in the state and moving in. do you think with proper shot placement 150 pound hog humane kill is doable under 75 yards with that type of round ?? back when i was a kid dad had a mossberg or maybe savege i cant remember bolt in 22-250 that was a coyote getter, but that was when i could see alot better,
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:10 pm

bmsma wrote:do you think with proper shot placement 150 pound hog humane kill is doable under 75 yards with that type of round ??

of that I have no doubt, if you do your part in bullet placement,
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm

You can kill a hog with a head shot with a 22 mag.
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 pm

showed the pic to a friend that stopped by, now he is not a shooter of anytime, he is not anti gun, its just not his thing, but like myself is a old hippy, he looked at the pic and say " where did you find tye dye gun" i almost shot pepsi out my nose laughing, had never thought of cch as tye dye,
1 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

Aaron357
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Aaron357 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Finally found one on cheaper than dirt. Just got her today, taking it out tomorrow, ill post pics of her gleaming in the sun, she's a beaut
0 x