Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Replaced worn transfer bar

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Replaced worn transfer bar

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am

I mentioned this elsewhere and finally getting around to posting with pictures. I started having light primer strikes on my .44 Mag Big Boy. Immediately prior to this, my Lee hand priming tool broke and I started using the priming tool that came with my Lee Hand Press. I thought that I may not be seating the primers as deep. I purchased a Franford Arsenal hand priming tool with an adjustable primer seating depth. I really like this tool. But, that didn't solve my light primer strikes.

While cleaning my Big Boy one day, I noticed that there was some wear and deformation on the top of the transfer bar where it strikes the rear firing pin. I called Henry and unfortunately used the wrong terminology and received the wrong parts. Finally, I used the correct terminology and received the transfer bar.

I installed the new transfer bar and seems to have fixed my problem. The rear firing pin has some wear on the bottom rear face, so I may have to replace that at some point. I do a lot of shooting with this rifle, perhaps more than any other firearm I own, sometimes shooting a couple hundred or more rounds in a range session. I usually don't shoot that much, but I am normally taking it to the range at least once a week. I cannot say how much I appreciate Henry replacing parts for me at no cost to me and offering to ship parts to me or have the rifle shipped to them for repair at their cost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Replaced worn transfer bar

Post by Petey » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Glad you got her up and running! I learned something too.

Thanks for sharing & Happy Shootin!
Petey
Last edited by Petey on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the top of transfer bar is catching the firing pin. I noticed something similar on mine and wondered how long it would be before the transfer bar would no longer make solid contact. The transfer bar is new to me. I suspect it has earned it place though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:14 pm

GFK wrote:Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the top of transfer bar is catching the firing pin. I noticed something similar on mine and wondered how long it would be before the transfer bar would no longer make solid contact. The transfer bar is new to me. I suspect it has earned it place though.
The transfer bar is great for safety without having to have a cross bolt as Marlins have. But, it seems to be a softer metal that wears somewhat fast.
1 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Petey wrote:Glad you got her up and running! I learned something too.

Petey
You are welcome and thanks. That is a beautiful holster and belt along with your Blackhawk in your avatar! Nice looking grips as well.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:09 am

Yes, thanks for sharing. Will check this out on my H009B. Last time out at the range I was having light primer strikes, seemed to be when it occurred it occurred on the first round after reloading the rifle.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:19 pm

DAVIDF wrote:
Petey wrote:Glad you got her up and running! I learned something too.

Petey
You are welcome and thanks. That is a beautiful holster and belt along with your Blackhawk in your avatar! Nice looking grips as well.

Thank you.
Happy Shootin!
Petey
0 x