Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Request a little assistance please

gunner065
Tenderfoot
Canada

Request a little assistance please

Post by gunner065 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Just got back from the range with my new to me Henry BBB in 44 mag but no range report unfortunately. I only shot 26 rounds of factory 240 gr off a bag to get a feel for the rifle. Had some hand loads ready to see what the rifle liked but didn't get that far.

I went to reload and noticed the brass tube was somewhat difficult to twist and once I got it twisted to unlock it, it was a devils own job to pull it out. That's when I noticed that the magazine tube had moved forward about a 1/4" to 3/8". I stopped shooting the Henry and decided to ask the wise Henry owners here.

Did anyone else experience this and what is the way ahead to correct this issue?

Cheers
0 x
Love your Freedom? Thank a Veteran

If it was easy, everyone would do it

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Request a little assistance please

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm

That's when I noticed that the magazine tube had moved forward about a 1/4" to 3/8". I stopped shooting the Henry and decided to ask the wise Henry owners here.
I believe the forward bottom tang screw secures the mag tube but it is also held in by a pin in the in the front mag tube ring on the barrel with a 'half moon' groove in the tube where the pin indexes in. Look on the top of the tube in front of the ring on the barrel and look to see if you can see this half moon groove in the tube. If it moved forward 3/8 you should see the groove. If so the pin may have fallen out.
Last edited by Mistered on Sun May 06, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

gunner065
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by gunner065 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Mistered wrote:
That's when I noticed that the magazine tube had moved forward about a 1/4" to 3/8". I stopped shooting the Henry and decided to ask the wise Henry owners here.
I believe the forward bottom tank screw secures the mag tube but it is also held in by a pin in the in the front mag tube ring on the barrel with a 'half moon' groove in the tube where the pin indexes in. Look on the top of the tube in front of the ring on the barrel and look to see if you can see this half moon groove in the tube. If it moved forward 3/8 you should see the groove. If so the pin may have fallen out.[/quote

I will go a check now. Thank you
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Check the forward tang screw also.
0 x

gunner065
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by gunner065 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 pm

I hauled out the inner tube and looked down the mag tube. It is smooth with no indent for the pin on the mag tube ring to hold it. The pin is still in the mag tube ring. Not sure about where to locate the tang screw. I have a parts breakdown opened up but there is no mention of a tang screw.

Not a noob dealing with rifles but this Henry is totally new to me. I appreciate the help and patience some of you might have in providing me with assistance.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 4:07 pm

It is smooth with no indent for the pin on the mag tube ring to hold it.
The half moon groove will be on the TOP of the tube for half of the pin to index on - it will not be inside the tube. It will most likely not have any bluing from being milled out after the tube is blued and should be a bright and clear groove on TOP of the tube.
The forward tang screw will be on the bottom in front of the lever pivot.
0 x

gunner065
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by gunner065 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Mistered wrote:
It is smooth with no indent for the pin on the mag tube ring to hold it.
The half moon groove will be on the TOP of the tube for half of the pin to index on - it will not be inside the tube. It will most likely not have any bluing from being milled out after the tube is blued and should be a bright and clear groove on TOP of the tube.
The forward tang screw will be on the bottom in front of the lever pivot.
Gotcha Mistered. I checked the top of the mag tub but could not see a half moon for the taper pin. Also checked the forward tang screw. It was tight. Removed it to see if the mag tub would gently pursaded back in but no joy there.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 4:36 pm

So there is NO groove for the pin? Shoot and post a pic of the area of the top of the tube where the pin would line up with it and where the groove should most likely be - make sense?
0 x

gunner065
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by gunner065 » Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm

Well, with brute force and blind ignorance, I was able to correct the issue. Not really. I removed the forward tang screw and the inner tube and with a strip of thin wood on the top of the mag tube, I gently tapped the mag tub back into place. But this shouldn't have to be done correct? I mean the mag tube should be fitted into place and not move. Anyway, will be careful in the future to ensure the mag tube doesn't rest on the bag during firing.

I appreciate the provided assistance.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun May 06, 2018 5:20 pm

There should be the half moon groove on the tube for the pin to secure it where it goes through the front barrel ring. You say you saw no groove?
0 x