Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Big Boy Steel Range Report

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Big Boy Steel Range Report

Post by garryj » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

I went to the range yesterday mainly to check out my Henry Big Boy Steel in .357 Magnum. I just installed a Skinner Big Boy “Express” rear sight because I cannot stand buckhorne sights. The Skinner sight installs on the receiver where a scope mount would normally go (pictures added).

I was only working with handloads to find out what it likes. So far, the most accurate short range (25yds) is a 158gr lead round nose flat point (Oregon Trail Laser Cast) under 4.2 gr of American Select powder. I got two 3” or less 10-shot groups at 25yds with this load. The most accurate long range (100yds) is a 158 gr FMJ (Armscor) under 6.0gr of W231 powder. With this load, I was consistently hitting an 8” steel plate at 100yds until all of the paint came off of it and I could no longer see it (~30 rounds). I had some loads with H110, but this rifle does not like them. I may have to try less H110 to see if that works, but only time will tell.

This rifle is just what I was looking for—a .357 rifle to compliment my Dan Wesson .357 revolver. It will perform at 100 yards which is something I couldn’t get my .45 Colt Henry to do (which is why I traded it for the .357 Henry).

All said and done, I love this rifle!

Garry
Skinner1.JPG
Skinner2.JPG
Skinner3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry Big Boy Steel Range Report

Post by PT7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:24 am

~Good choice getting the Skinner "Express."
~~Great that the BBB likes your handloads, that you & ammo & Henry took out the 100-yard 8" target!
~~~Excellent caliber & model choice you made on getting the Henry!
~~~~Wow, a DW .357 Magnum "good buddy" to your Henry BBB!
~~~~~All-in-all, what a grand day at the range for you! :)

Thanks for your Range Report.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:59 am

our 357 has quickly become one of our favorite rifles .... it is truly fun to fire .... looking forward to continuing to follow your load development
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:05 am

Garry
If you have some 2400 around give it a go. I have not had much luck with the 110 either and they tell me it only gives good accuracy at near max charges. Other than that as far as I am concerned a 357 levergun is maximum fun at the range. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Nice gun, and good shooting. In a couple of weeks, watch out.

BTW, check out the wood to metal fit in those pics; looks pretty good.........
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Love that Skinner Express on your Henry. Great product, both the rifle and the scope. Congrats.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 pm

The loads you are using are on the TOP end for those powders.
You might want to move to a slower powder and create 'heavier' loads. They don't have to be 'full house' but something more in the arena of 1300-1400 FPS as per the manual data.
Very fast powders on the top end typically shoot well in handguns but in a rifle the powder burns too fast and doesn't get the advantage of building up the pressure in a longer barrel and accuracy can suffer. The reason I suggest this is you should be getting much better than 3" at 25 yards - even if offhand shooting.
The .357 Mag is a reloader's dream with the variety of bullets available along with the range of loads that can be created but rifles turn the .357 into something really special and seem to like a little more velocity. I have found a 'hot' .38 Specials loaded with a slower powder (such as Unique) will typically shoot better than a low end .357 loaded with a fast powder.
Think about stepping it up a bit with your .357 loads and you might cut those groups in half!
1 x

SGC
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SGC » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:56 am

Looks great, look forward to you range reports. Any issues with the skinner working with the factory front site as far as being able to zero in the vertical?
0 x
H001TLP-H012MR-H001TMLP-H001ML