Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

failure to feed

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: failure to feed

Post by tx gunrunner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm

When you shoot straight wall case like 38/357 and 45 Colt from a tube feed lever gun and it use a ramp to feed it in the barrel it can get picky . That is why I use a 32-20 or 44-40 bottleneck are perfect for ramp feed guns . Org Henry's , 1866 and 73 have a elevator to lift the cartridges in to barrel and work perfect for a straight wall case . When I was able to shoot I shot SASS/CAS many moons ago I shot gunfighter class below . A pistol in each hand .

. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPB8I1FuF8
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Re: failure to feed

Post by clovishound » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:00 pm

larry7293 wrote:My 357mag likes 38specials better than 357's.
I believe that is not the norm. I know mine likes .357s better, in fact I normally only run .357 through it. I reload, so the only down side is a little more powder, and magnum cases are tougher to find at the range.

Not sure I would be overly concerned if the first box only had 3 failures. Like has been mentioned before, a clean and lube would be in order (not necessarily a complete strip down, just make sure the action has no detritus from manufacturing and enough CLP or gun oil to keep things slippery), operate the lever with authority, remember it may take a couple hundred for both you and the rifle to break in to final smooth feeding.

One other issue to be aware of, you must have the rifle upright when chambering. Some folks like to tilt it to the side to either get the ejected shell to go where they want it, or think that gravity will help extract the empty. It doesn't have to be + or - 1 degree, but it does need to be more or less upright.

If it still is failing to feed properly after a couple hundred, or gets worse, then a call to Henry would be in order.
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya