Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry 44mag disappointment

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Henry 44mag disappointment

Post by larry7293 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Went to pick up a new Henry H012 today only to be disappointed in the overall appearance. The band holding on the forearm was brown on one side, lack of blueing I suppose. The checkering had a big scuff mark on it which I could not remove, and the lever had a scratch on it about a inch long. I asked the manager if he could send it back to Henry to see if they could repair it and his response was he had dealings with Henry before over matters like this and if they sent it back they would not do anything to it and send it back the same way they sent it.
I told him I would not purchase the gun so he put it up on the shelf for someone else to buy.
Is this the way places do business now or am I being to particular? I bought another Henry last year from a different retailer and it was perfect out of the box.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry 44mag disappointment

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Over time, I've seen the ebb and flow of Henry's QC issues. But in 2018, I think it's the year that maybe Henry has taken on more then they can keep up with in their large number of new models under production. That may be reflected in the QC problems that have come about. At the same time, your Henry from last year was perfect. Scales re-balanced a little.

Are you too particular? No, I don't think so. I wouldn't like a marred Henry new-out-of-the-box either. Glad your purchase experience turned out okay when you said no to the purchase. All I would do is write a note to Henry's president, Anthony Imperato, about your experience with the less-than-top-quality Henry rifle. He would like to know that I'm certain. And the more those happenings are told to him, I'd hope he really works with his folk to ramp up their QC at the end of the production process.

I also think there is a Henry H012 out there waiting for you to bring home. Good hunting for it!
2 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Where was this you saw this rifle? Was it a well respected LGS or a retail store that just happens to have a gun sale area? Unless this was a dedicated LGS who cares about the product and customer you might have not been dealing with someone who understands, (or cares) about firearms. We as gun owners are unfortunately entering an era of dark times ahead and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:41 pm

I wouldn't have bought it either .... that said, I'd do my best to find another dealer .... my hunch is, he simply didn't want to be bothered .... our 44 has some dings, we put them there ..... don't give up on owning one .... you can read pages and pages of well deserved positive reports on this forum
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am

Agreed, certainly keep looking.

After all of the posts I've read through in here the vast majority have been positive praise for HRA QC. You'll find a good one!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

larry7293
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by larry7293 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:04 am

Mistered wrote:Where was this you saw this rifle? Was it a well respected LGS or a retail store that just happens to have a gun sale area? Unless this was a dedicated LGS who cares about the product and customer you might have not been dealing with someone who understands, (or cares) about firearms. We as gun owners are unfortunately entering an era of dark times ahead and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
Sportsman Warehouse
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 am

larry7293 wrote: I asked the manager if he could send it back to Henry to see if they could repair it and his response was he had dealings with Henry before over matters like this and if they sent it back they would not do anything to it and send it back the same way they sent it.
Absolutely untrue. He was lying. Henry has never allowed a customer to be dissatisfied; to the point of providing a full refund or a replacement rifle long after the original purchase. I have a beautiful H006M that Henry sent when they could not repair my first one (it would not cycle).

My hunch is that all of the damage that you described happened in his store. I would avoid doing business there. Find a reputable dealer. You'll be very happy you did.
8 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:56 am

I have a hard time believing that Henry Customer Service reps would do nothing towards making their product acceptable.

I purchased one of the early .45-70 steel rifles. They had issues with the mag tube and eventually re-designed the barrel and mag tube. In that process, I had to send my rifle in twice. It is perfectly acceptable now and they were courteous through the entire process. Even had a personal e-mail from Anthony Imperato.

The first time I sent the rilfe in, it had a ding in the buttstock (my doing). The rifle was sent in to have a new mag tube installed. When I got the rifle back, they replaced the mag tube but they had also replaced the butt stock. To me that was above and beyond.

Recently, I needed a new o-ring for the inner tube on my Henry .22 Classic. I called customer service and they sent me two o-rings free of charge.

I would find another dealer.
3 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 am

Sportsman's warehouse quality of service varies from place to place. My local Store recently let several people go - including two managers - one being The hunting/gun area who is a friend of mine. He is an upstanding, knowledgeable good guy - and thinks he was part of a cost cutting measure. Unfortunately service there has gone downhill since the 'transition'
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Im thinking what CT said is spot on. It happened in the store and the sales staff was not telling the truth. Find another store that cares about its customers like Henry cares about theres. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55