Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A few Q's on the new Henry..

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: A few Q's on the new Henry..

Post by Steve51 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:19 am

If you guys plan on doing any disassembly, check out the Henry website. They have some pretty good videos on disassembling and reassembling their various firearms.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 am

This is true. And, I did. I found I had to apply pressure to the trigger while manipulating the hammer to get things aligned. This was not mentioned in the video. I found that out while I had the trigger assemble out trying to align the screw. But, others may find it easier to get the screw aligned. In the process, I rubbed some bluing off the tip of the screw while screwing it in with the gun laying on a gun mat. I guess this would be a good reason for using a gun vise. Oh well, live and learn.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Rangerhgm
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: A few Q's on the new Henry (DIFFICULT BOLT REMOVAL)

Post by Rangerhgm » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:03 pm

I had trouble getting the bolt out of my new H012R.

It would bind on top of the hammer, with the hammer pulled all the back.

What I found was, when it binds, just rotate the bolt ever so slightly, pull on it and it slides right out.

The videos I've seen show the bolt sliding straight out easily.....mine wasn't like that.

I've taken my bolt out several times and need to do the rotate thing every time. Not a big deal to me as long as it works.
0 x
-------
Gregg

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:47 pm

I only completely disassembled the innards of the Henry the first time to clean. I paused the video whenever necessary. Now, I just undo the lever and pull back the block like a Marlin. It's a helluva lot faster and there's really no need to disassemble the whole thing just to clean. I may do it again after a couple thousand rounds just to check.
3 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 pm

I agree. I thought I would do an initial inspection before I got too many rounds through it. I wanted to have a base or starting point to work with. The parts looked solid. I especially noticed how more solid the carrier looked compared to the one in my Marlin. The carrier maybe does not handle too much stress. However, it indicates the effort or level of quality that went into making the rifle. But as you pointed out, the Marlin is a whole lot more easier and faster to disassemble, 15-20 minutes from start to finish. At any rate, it probably will be a while before I did it again. Unless, I get tried of looking a screw with no bluing and decide to replace it. I have not tried to blue anything yet. A screw should be cheap enough to replace. I know what to watch out for now.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Schneeky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Schneeky » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 am

Update.
A few weeks ago I broke down and sent the Henry back to the mfg for repair. They had ta issue me a new shipping label cause it had been a while. No problem. Got advised by the LGS to NOT use my original box with the serial #. They said the box it goes in is rarely the box it comes back in and a matching box is a nice touch.
Anyways, sent it off and had it back inna coupla weeks. Works fine, the bolt comes right out now. I'm very happy with my Henry warranty service. d:^)
6 x
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig? d;^)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

Schneeky wrote:Update.
Works fine, the bolt comes right out now. I'm very happy with my Henry warranty service. d:^)

outstanding .... very good to hear
0 x