Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

All Weather Rough Lever and bolt freeze

crburb1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

All Weather Rough Lever and bolt freeze

Post by crburb1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi all I own several Henrys and have loved them all due to the smooth lever action and quality workmanship. I obtained an All Weather .357/.38 Spec rifle over the holidays. Noticed in first use the action was rough and more clunky than I had experienced before. Shot 100 full metal jacket rounds through it and it was okay but action remained rough. Cleaned and lubed afterwards. Second outing it ceased up half way open after 35 rounds of led tipped rounds through. Took bolt out (required some butt thumping to get it out) extremely tight. Cleaned and lubed and no longer ceased up but very rough. Has anyone else had this difficulty? Any solutions? The All Weather is supposed to operate well in adverse environments. Concerning.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: All Weather Rough Lever and bolt freeze

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm

I'd say a call to Customer Service is in order. It sounds like something is binding or otherwise wrong there. Someone else familiar with the Big Boy action should chime in soon.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:17 pm

crburb1 wrote:Hi all I own several Henrys and have loved them all due to the smooth lever action and quality workmanship.
Welcome to the forum from CT. I agree that a call to Henry CS is in order. Something is wrong. Let us know how you make out.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm

agree .... something has changed to where the bold is in a bind .... I'd call Henry
0 x

JNG3
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by JNG3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Pull the bolt from the reciever. Take a bright light and look inside. Make sure there are no burrs on the underside of the reciever where the 3 drilled and tapped 8-40 holes are for attaching the scope base. Burrs here will cause the bolt to bind. The action will feel 'gritty' as well. Might not be YOUR problem, but if it is, it is easily fixed without the hassle of sending the rifle back to HRA.
0 x

crburb1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by crburb1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 am

Thank you for your suggestions and ideas. I have contacted Customer service and they were great, sent me a shipping box and return label, good communication. They got it last Friday and informed me on Tuesday that they had fixed it and were sending it back. Only concern is I wanted to talk with them about what was fixed and the testing they did. After all the All Weather is designed and marketed to work in adverse conditions. If I have a concern about the action functioning in the wild then it is not useful if I just have to take another rifle. They sent it back with only minor testing and it should be back next tuesday. I brought it up because I wanted some other ideas if after 135 rounds it is ceasing again. You have been great and I will check the burrs. By the way they replaced the bolt and said they adjusted the housing. I am interested to see how smoothly it works and will let you all know. I had a great experience with their Customer Service but I don't yet know what the rest of the story is.
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 am

I also just bought a henry all weather 44mag and got the same result first shooting after about 30rounds I had trouble, took the rifle home and cleaned it, went to the range again and after about 50rounds same problem the bolt got almost stuck. Once again I went home cleaned it and the bolt was hard to get out it was very tight. I then cleaned it and used no lube on the bolt and it was really tight fit on the bolt when I got the bolt in place I and then worked the action in front of the TV and then cleaned the riflebolt and housing and it was clearly grinding material off. reassembly and continued to work the action and it has went from very rough to smoother, havent been on the range and tried anymore but it seems like when the rifle gets a little dirty it jams up because of tight tolerances my guess its the coloring of the bolt makes it offspec, the bolt is clearly not as slick as a normal riflebolt and maybe the "stainlessmaterial" is not as slick as normal metal. Guess the parts need to "marry" eachother and only thing to make it is to use the rifle and work the action dry and clean it. Im no gunsmith but atleast my rifle is alot smoother now and not as tight fit of the bolt when inserting it in the housing, will give it a few more trips to range and keep working the action before sending it back to reseller think it just need to be used and marrying the parts without lube.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:48 am

I suspect the tight bolt issues some are reporting might be due to the possibility that Henry is fitting the bolt to the receiver first THEN hard chroming it which will slightly reduce the bolt chamber size and further tighten an already close fit. IF this is the case then Henry needs to rethink their process and fit bolts AFTER the hard chroming process as this will be the only way to achieve the proper tolerance. If someone owns one of these rifles and the bolt is a bit tight (but not galling or grinding material) I recommend a complete disassembly and cleaning of the bolt and chamber and applying a layer of 'Gumslick' to the surface of the bolt. Gunslick is a graphite based grease compound that is designed to 'lap' tight fitting components to a final fit. When the gunslick is applied movement should be smooth but will be slightly tight but will smooth up fairly quickly with use. I I'd say several months of frequent usage with the gunslick in the bolt will make for a very nice fit and much smoother action. Dissassembly will again be required with a thorough cleaning and lube with a light oil ( I recommend Rem-Oil). like I said however a tight but smooth action can be corrected this way but if there is any 'galling' or binding of the surfaces that are grinding and removing material then this requires repair.
Last edited by Mistered on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 am

Mistered wrote:I suspect the tight bolt issues some are reporting might be due to the possibility that Henry is fitting the bolt to the receiver first THEN hard chroming it which will slightly reduce the bolt chamber size and further tighten an already close fit. IF this is the case then Henry needs to rethink their process and fit bolts AFTER the hard chroming process as this will be the only way to achieve the proper tolerance. If someone owns one of these rifles and the bolt is a bit tight (but not galling or grinding material) I recommend a complete disassembly an cleaning of the bolt and chamber and applying a layer of 'Gumslick' to the surface of the bolt. Gunslick is a graphite based grease compound that is designed to 'lap' tight fitting components to a final fit. When the gunslick is applied movement should be smooth but will be slightly tight but will smooth up fairly quickly with use. I I'd say several months of frequent usage with the gunslick in the bolt will make for a very nice fit and much smoother action. Dissassembly will again be required with a thorough cleaning and lube with a light oil ( I recommend Rem-Oil). like I said however a tight but smooth action can be corrected this way but if there is any 'galling' or binding of the surfaces that are grinding and removing material then this requires repair.
Thanks for the idea!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:26 am

crburb1 wrote:I have contacted Customer service and they were great, sent me a shipping box and return label, good communication. They got it last Friday and informed me on Tuesday that they had fixed it and were sending it back. Only concern is I wanted to talk with them about what was fixed and the testing they did. After all the All Weather is designed and marketed to work in adverse conditions. If I have a concern about the action functioning in the wild then it is not useful if I just have to take another rifle. They sent it back with only minor testing and it should be back next tuesday. I brought it up because I wanted some other ideas if after 135 rounds it is ceasing again. You have been great and I will check the burrs. By the way they replaced the bolt and said they adjusted the housing. I am interested to see how smoothly it works and will let you all know. I had a great experience with their Customer Service but I don't yet know what the rest of the story is.
A box and label? That is good and new I think. I just sent mine back the last of the year and had to find my own box. Seems like great communication. I hope that continues. Happy shooting when you get it back.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).