Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

All Weather Rough Lever and bolt freeze

crburb1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: All Weather Rough Lever and bolt freeze

Post by crburb1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks so much I definitely agree that the fit between the bolt and the housing is tighter than other Henry rifles I have owned. I hope someone from Henry is monitoring this conversation and considering the reasons offered for the tight bolt fit. The entire marketing approach for the Henry All Weather is that it is able to operate in adverse weather or conditions. The tight specs on the bolt prevent it from living up to it's promise. Sounds like it is very correctable. Hope mine reflects that solution when I get it back Tuesday. Will keep you informed.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:19 pm

Dissassembly will again be required with a thorough cleaning and lube with a light oil ( I recommend Rem-Oil).
With regard to the all weather bolt issue I might consider (after the Gunslick smoothing and cleaning) using a product called 'Cherry Balmz' to lube the bolt. Cherry Balmz is an INCREDIBLE product - I was given a sample bottle of the 'Black Rifle' style and am almost out of it. It is a firm, light grease (about the consistency of mayonnaise) and when applied sticks to the surface but soon begins to thin out and 'creep' - I believe it will be a perfect lube for the tight fitting all weather bolt. Smells great also!
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 pm

I belive that froglube might work aswell, just heat the bolt up with a hairdryer and apply froglube and let it sit until the bolt is cool and wipe the bolt dry its like seasoning a cast iron frying pan. And it smells great too.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:42 pm

If it has been stripped and the receiver cleaned and lightly oiled, the bolt cleaned and lightly oiled, and it still sticks or binds, I'm afraid I would send it back.
They owe you a functional rifle without your having to gunsmith it or use special oil. I suspect it has a burr or an out of tolerance part in there. Oil won't fix that.
JMO
Good luck with it.
3 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 am

Ditto.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

crburb1
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by crburb1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm

I received the Henry All Weather .357/.38 back from Henry's repair in Wisconsin as promised yesterday. They turned it around within 2 business days of receiving it. I immediately noticed that the action was smoother and that the specialized bolt for the All Weather had been changed out for the traditional bolt found in the Henry Classic Big Boy .357/.38. This matched my thoughts that the bolt was out of specs and that it may be a design error. It also matched the responses I have read above indicating that the coating threw the specs just enough out to cause binding.

I took it out to the range today for a test run. I fired 100 rounds of .38 special full metal jacket then immediately fired 75 rounds of .357 more dirty led tipped Argentinian ammo. The weapon performed beautifully. The action remained smooth throughout the testing and comfortable to work.

I was concerned and a bit skeptical. However, I have been treated throughout by Henry personnel with professionalism and courtesy. Of course the ultimate proof was the fix worked and Henry now has another very happy customer and Henry owner for life.
7 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:08 am

crburb1 wrote:I received the Henry All Weather .357/.38 back from Henry's repair in Wisconsin as promised yesterday. They turned it around within 2 business days of receiving it. I immediately noticed that the action was smoother and that the specialized bolt for the All Weather had been changed out for the traditional bolt found in the Henry Classic Big Boy .357/.38. This matched my thoughts that the bolt was out of specs and that it may be a design error. It also matched the responses I have read above indicating that the coating threw the specs just enough out to cause binding.

I took it out to the range today for a test run. I fired 100 rounds of .38 special full metal jacket then immediately fired 75 rounds of .357 more dirty led tipped Argentinian ammo. The weapon performed beautifully. The action remained smooth throughout the testing and comfortable to work.

I was concerned and a bit skeptical. However, I have been treated throughout by Henry personnel with professionalism and courtesy. Of course the ultimate proof was the fix worked and Henry now has another very happy customer and Henry owner for life.
Thank you for the updatte, seems like its a common problem on these allweather atleast in 357 and 44mag. So Henry replaced the bolt, hope they do it with my rifle aswell othervice I trade this for a ordinary henry rifle I really dont want a gunsmithfix I want a working factory rifle. Will return my rifle as soon as I recieve my returnlabels.
Last edited by ruhler on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:02 am

crburb1 wrote:I was concerned and a bit skeptical. However, I have been treated throughout by Henry personnel with professionalism and courtesy. Of course the ultimate proof was the fix worked and Henry now has another very happy customer and Henry owner for life.
not surprised in the least but absolutely delighted to hear all's good .... looking forward to your future range reports and information exchanges .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (at this link http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 590#p51590 ) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total
0 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:14 pm

I'm having this problem with my all weather 30/30. After 20 shots the bolt freezes for a few seconds, then releases. After that is every 4-5 shots, freeze release. Before that I had my rifle for 4 days and was working the action to smooth it out. The carrier stopped working! They fixed it and returned. My better half just finished his AR so we will be heading out to the range again real soon. I'll be shooting my Henry to see where I'm standing with it.
3 x
I never take myself seriously....

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 pm

Good luck Dahnia, and let us know how it's working..............
0 x