Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Post by GFK » Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am

I will add that mine has popped out even after being replaced with the upgrade. I do not know how often it popped out before the upgrade. Because, it was returned before I shot it for cleaning due to lots of copper in the barrel. While it was at Henry for cleaning, the lever was replaced also. Now, I just try and ensure that the rounds go in the inner tube during closing by rotating the tube as I insert it.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 01, 2019 11:58 am

Yup twisting the tube during closing is required to minimize, but it still happens. Also happens less frequently with MisterEds provided idea to deburr the end of the inner mag tube lip. I learned recently that the newer H009Bs now come with the same smaller diameter mag tube as the H009 steel. Less ammo slop in the smaller diameter tube means the ammo aligns up end to end straighter resulting in ammo rims less likely getting hung up on the inner tube lip too.
GFK wrote:.... ensure that the rounds go in the inner tube during closing by rotating the tube as I insert it.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Mags wrote:.
Yup twisting the tube during closing is required to minimize, but it still happens. Also happens less frequently with MisterEds provided idea to deburr the end of the inner mag tube lip. I learned recently that the newer H009Bs now come with the same smaller diameter mag tube as the H009 steel. Less ammo slop in the smaller diameter tube means the ammo aligns up end to end straighter resulting in ammo rims less likely getting hung up on the inner tube lip too.
GFK wrote:.... ensure that the rounds go in the inner tube during closing by rotating the tube as I insert it.
Oh. Okay. Have you asked for a tube yet or plan to buy one?
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 01, 2019 4:45 pm

I've tentatively looked into ordering another one, but the online store doesn't distinguish between the two sizes of mag tubes for the H009B. The mag tube diameter is smaller as of serial # TTB041011. Mine is in the 38000 range.
GFK wrote:Oh. Okay. Have you asked for a tube yet or plan to buy one?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed May 01, 2019 5:45 pm

I can understand. When I sent mine back for cleaning, I asked for a new tube. I do not know if it is a different size. But, it was new. I still did the MisterEd special though. Maybe, the load gate is the answer?
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Well, I finally found it :) . And, no, it didn't take all day, I had to attend a funeral for a friends father (a 98 year old WW II vet, who landed at Normandy about a week after D Day, was wounded, captured at the Battle of the Bulge and became a POW). So I didn't get back from Superior, WI until a couple of hours ago. For sure you don't have a popping lever. There is a substantial difference in how the head is machined on the side shown in your first image; while the shape is identical, the "popping" lever has a much narrower slot, located farther below the head. As I recall, the DIY fix involved filing that slot bigger, Henry then redesigned the lever. So they're right about it not being the lever, but it still shouldn't pop. Before I replaced mine, the slightest touch would pop it open. The replacement lever totally cured it. At least we've eliminated one possibility.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Thank you. Appreciate your checking this out for me. For now I think I'll leave it be. Someday when I have some downtime away from other things, I may pull the action out of the receiver and have a look at how it works in relationship to the mag tube feeding ammo.
Yornoc3 wrote:... So they're right about it not being the lever, but it still shouldn't pop. Before I replaced mine, the slightest touch would pop it open. The replacement lever totally cured it. At least we've eliminated one possibility.
0 x