Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm

As I briefly mentioned in a different thread, I "accidentally" wound up with a New "Old Model" H 009 for Christmas, when my wife caught me admiring a NIB Steel 30-30 (with really nice wood) I found in the clearance rack at the friendly neighborhood Cabela's. It is a Bayonne, NJ, gun dated 9/19/'13, with the XS Ghost Ring sights. Of course, as an early model, it also has the larger ghost ring, .19", (shoots high set at the lowest position), and the prone to popping open lever. After it finally warmed up enough Monday to shoot it and verify these things, Tuesday I sent off an E-mail to Henry, asking what I should do to get these issues corrected. After a prompt E-mail response, Today I received a package with an updated lever, and two replacement ghost ring rear sights, one with a smaller ghost ring, .15", and a lower base model, also with the smaller ring. Now that is customer service! The rifle will be fully updated when I finish switching out the rear sight and lever, both very easy things to do. Makes it real easy to be a loyal customer ;) .
Last edited by Yornoc3 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm

That is service! I brought home a NIB Sept. 2015 H009 around Christmas time (21st) also (my wife was not that crazy about though). And yes, the wood caught my attention as well. But, I sent mine back (Jan. 2nd) due to what appeared to be copper fouling. I have not received it back yet. I have not shot it yet. It is getting warmer. I was hoping to shoot it this weekend. But, I would rather start off on a good foot. So, I will wait with a smile. 8-)
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm

That one was also an "old model", right? If so, I would expect them to provide any other upgrades that are lacking, as long as it's in the shop, so to speak. And the good news is you won't be charged for the extra added parts ;) . I live only about 45 miles from the Rice Lake facility, so it kinda explains how the parts arrived so fast, but, still, it's impressive.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 pm

Well, it did not have the Ghost Ring setup. It has the buckhorn type setup. And, I just received an e-mail that it is scheduled for return. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I hope it did get the once over. It would have been a good idea to do so.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Good news! And if it's a Buckhorn sight set up, it must be the current model, so no lever "popping". I remember your post about the barrel's condition, mine was pretty "dirty", too, but nothing like that.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Yes. I would expect a little residue. But, nothing like I encountered. I have been thinking if such residue could have accumulate after just a test fire. But if you have a 2013, I guess not. At least you got a discount. I was expecting one. But, I purchased it from family owned sporting goods shop. So, it might did not receive much of a discount when the rifle was purchased.

By the way, the rifle was sent to Rice Lake. I am suppose to have it by Tuesday. So, this weekend may be a day at the range. :D
1 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:56 am

Rice Lake is where all the centerfire rifles (and shotguns) are made, so that's no doubt where warranty work on them is done, too. I think Cabela's had mine in the rack until someone finally noticed that they don't make that model anymore, thus the "Display Model, one only Clearance". I suspect that ghost ring sights seem odd to a lot of people, too - but that's mostly why I wanted it. Anyway, that rifle was still thinly coated with a cosmoline like preservative, and was a little dusty besides, from living in a store rack for 4 years, I guess ;) . It left a brown residue on the white rags I wiped it down with, and the barrel and action seemed have it internally as well. But it cleaned up nice :) .
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am

Yes. I think I would have liked to try the Ghost Ring as well. Just wondering if I would notice a big difference between a Ghost Ring type sight and a Buckhorn type sight. I am one that typically try and keep things as original as possible. So, I probably will not change it out. My Marlin has a hood, and I don't recall noticing it at all when I was using the open sight. I just tried and stay focused on the front sight which I guess is done with any sight.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I took advantage of the warm up (42F!) and checked out the upgrades to my new "old model" Henry 30-30 after installing the replacement lever and peep sights I received from Henry a week ago. No popping open with the updated lever installed, even with 5 rounds in the magazine, it's locked up. It does take a bit more effort to open the action, and it'll need to break in a bit, but it's already almost back to as smooth as the original. I installed the low base small aperture ghost ring sight, and it now is shooting a little low, but close to where I want it. I'll need to shoot from a bench (I shot from sticks to try it) to get it to right where I want it, but I'm confident that this sight will work. I'll wait 'til I don't have to lug everything out through the snow to do that, fighting winter takes most of the fun out of it. C'mon Spring thaw ;) .
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:57 pm

Seems like fun. I am hoping to get out there this weekend or the next. I noticed my lever is getting easier to cycle as well.
0 x