Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New 30-30, and Great Customer Service

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I sure notice the difference between ghost rings and other open sights. I've really never been a good user of conventional open sights. I tend to shoot high, not taking a "fine bead" when in a hurry (like shooting at a deer), so I've been shooting scoped rifles since I was 19. That'll be 56 years this fall :shock: . I can shoot peep sights better, and I think the ghost ring style are probably the only open sights I'd consider using for hunting. Both XS and Skinner make nice compact steel peep/ghost ring sights that fit Henry rifles. I think it was was a good idea for Henry to offer them, it's too bad they didn't continue to make them an option on the center fires. I might now need a small game rifle in .22, you know, for practice ;) .
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Practice is good. 56 years, that's lot of shooting. I thought a Ghost Ring may make it easier to focus on a target also. I am planning to use my Marlin for now as a hunting rifle. It can with a scope. Most people seem to not like it. I thinks it focuses on the target well enough. I am planning to use the Henry as a backup and for target practice. But, something can be said about the ability to quickly bring the barrel up and align on a target. We had to practice something similar to that when I was a correctional officer. It was referred to as quick draw. It was liken to the western gunfight duels. So, open sights still have a place in my book.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm

carried over from http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 959#p93959

What I read here could explain why HenryCS thought something else might be going on. Your rifle was clearly an old early version with the Ghost Ring sights. Mine is much newer (August 2017) with buckhorn sights and probably is already supposed to have the no-popping lever.
Yornoc3 wrote:No, I didn't take any [pictures] before I replaced it, but I think you could find some with a search. I remember finding a thread on lever popping, there was a DIY discussion before Henry corrected the engagement of the lever, and replaced the poppers . I bought that new old stock rifle at a Cabelas about a year and a half ago, but the thread was quite a bit older. There is definitely a difference in the internal end of the lever; it cured mine. I was E-mailing and/or phoning with someone at Rice Lake, but didn't save anything on it.

Edit: I found my post on the subject on this site, January 11, 2018, but I didn't say who I talked to at Rice Lake :oops: .
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:55 pm

This morning's response from HenryCS - almost word for word a repeat of the first. For the time being I'm going to leave the rifle as is. When I have some down time, I'll take a look at the innards myself before deciding additional steps.
Mags wrote:.
Well, the response I got, they won't send me a no popping lever. However, the person I asked didn't seem to know much of the issue; more or less said something else was likely going on. Anyway, I replied with more history on the issue and we'll see what I response I get from that, maybe on Monday.
Mags wrote:.
I've been wondering if I contacted HenryCS if they would send me the anti-popping lever. I feel better about asking after reading they did that for you. Thanks for sharing that.
Yornoc3 wrote:Mags, I had that lever popping issue with the "new old stock" 30-30 I bought a couple of years ago, ... A phone call to Henry resulted in a new lever and ... , so I fixed it myself...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:40 pm

When you remove the lever to look at it, send me a picture (of the end that engages the bolt), and I'll compare it to the "popping lever" I replaced. I know I saved it, just gotta find it. If they're the same, we'll be able to prove it. If not, then it's something else. Or I'll send you a picture back, if that's what it takes.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Thank you. Appreciate it.
Yornoc3 wrote:When you remove the lever to look at it, send me a picture (of the end that engages the bolt), and I'll compare it to the "popping lever" I replaced. I know I saved it, just gotta find it. If they're the same, we'll be able to prove it. If not, then it's something else. Or I'll send you a picture back, if that's what it takes.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Pictures of the lever...
20190430_143643.jpg
20190430_143703.jpg
Yornoc3 wrote:When you remove the lever to look at it, send me a picture (of the end that engages the bolt), and I'll compare it to the "popping lever" I replaced. I know I saved it, just gotta find it. If they're the same, we'll be able to prove it. If not, then it's something else. Or I'll send you a picture back, if that's what it takes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:29 pm

don't know if it will help or not but below are pictures of the lever of our 45-70 .... to my eye they look very similar to the levers shown above
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:02 pm

Well, I went to get it, it's not where I "knew" I put it. So I'll look more thoroughly tomorrow. I know I kept it, but I'm gonna have to sleep on it :oops: .
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 pm

I have that happen with my tape measure. It has mind of it's own and cloaking. I've been using it, just a minute ago and it's disappeared :twisted: I waste several minutes looking for it and it mysteriously appears right in front of me :evil:
Yornoc3 wrote:Well, I went to get it, it's not where I "knew" I put it. So I'll look more thoroughly tomorrow. I know I kept it, but I'm gonna have to sleep on it :oops: .
0 x