Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Problem with 45/70

Freerider
Tenderfoot
Canada

Problem with 45/70

Post by Freerider » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 pm

So I finally bought a rifle I’ve wanted for along time a lever action 45/70. Picked up a steel framed Henry at a small town local shop. Well I like it but have a problem when ever I load it the lever wants to pop open. Now my google research has led me to the discovery that I purchased an early model with the ghost ring and front sight part of the barrel band and this is a known issue. Also read that Henry has been updating these rifles for customers. I like running a rear peep but that ghost ring is way to big probably going to purchase a skinner sight. Not a fan of buck horn sights. I sent them an email waiting for a response what I am wondering is I am located in Alberta wondering if there is a Henry distributor in Canada I can contact. Any fellow Canadians on here

Thanks.

Blake
0 x

.45Steel
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: Problem with 45/70

Post by .45Steel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am

I'm not from Canada, but on the Henry site...this is a list of their Canadian importers. Maybe give one of them a call.
Cabela’s Retail Canada
25 DeBaets Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2J 4G5
Tel: +1 587 538-1321
Web: Cabelas.ca

Big Rock Sports Canada
B-959 Keewatin Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R2X 2X4
el: +1 204 632-8500

North Sylva Company
19 Ingram Drive
Toronto, Ontario
M6M 2L7
Tel: +1 416 242-4867
Email: nsc@northlylva.com
0 x
H010G 45-70
H012 .45 Colt
H001TER .22

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 am

first, welcome to our forum, delighted to have you join us .... we have several very knowledgeable Canadian members who I'm sure will jump in and help with your question .... as to your 45-70, Henry will take care of the issue, its just a matter of dealing with the Canadian regs .... ours has proven to be an excellent rifle and has quickly become one of our favorites .... please take a look at our How many ? thread at this link ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 403#p52403 <=== and add your Henry rifles to our community's total .... also take a look and enter our current contest at this link ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=20
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 am

Welcome to the forum freerider. Keep us posted about your rifle. Henry will make sure that you're happy.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. Ranchroper lives in Alberta and he is always on here. Send him a PM and maybe he can give you some help with that. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Freerider
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Freerider » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for the responses and welcomes. I sent Henry an email few days ago through the contact function on the website waiting for a response I am not concerned I am sure from everything I’ve heard they will get back to me after the holidays. From everything I’ve seen online I am confident they will help me out it’s just a matter of dealing with shipping across the border thing. I would take it back to where I bought it but it’s a small Mom and Pop hardware store that has a few guns they gave me a good deal on the rifle actually paid less then the big box stores. I am hoping Henry will give me the name of their Canadian distributor or warranty centre to send it to.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Henry will take care of it.

A suggestion. Take the sights off the gun and hang on to them. I've read that Henry will likely replace them when they update the gun. So that way you still have them to use or sell to someone who likes that style.
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Squatch wrote:Henry will take care of it.

A suggestion. Take the sights off the gun and hang on to them. I've read that Henry will likely replace them when they update the gun. So that way you still have them to use or sell to someone who likes that style.
Most definitely! If you want to keep the XS Ghost ring sight - remove it and save it before sending the rifle back to Henry. I've had my .45-70 for several years. They had to completely redesign the loading tube on the early models (which sounds like the one you have). I would contact Henry and request an upgrade. It only took them about a week to upgrade mine after they requested I send mine in. I did not save my XS sight. The new upgrade had a buckhorn sight and the XS sight from my rifle was not sent back to me.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Freerider
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Freerider » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 am

Steve51 wrote:
Squatch wrote:Henry will take care of it.

Most definitely! If you want to keep the XS Ghost ring sight - remove it and save it before sending the rifle back to Henry. I've had my .45-70 for several years. They had to completely redesign the loading tube on the early models (which sounds like the one you have). I would contact Henry and request an upgrade. It only took them about a week to upgrade mine after they requested I send mine in. I did not save my XS sight. The new upgrade had a buckhorn sight and the XS sight from my rifle was not sent back to me.
Humm was wondering about that was planning on ordering a set of skinner sights but would rather have the XS ghost instead of a buckhorn
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 am

I just had the same issue with a NIB old model 30-30 (H 009). Henry sent me a replacement lever, which is a simple fix. They also sent me replacement smaller ghost ring rear sights. You shouldn't have to send in the rifle just for the popping issue. I believe that the 45-70's also had the magazine tube improved in the new models, and can't speak to that. As long as they can send the parts to you, it should be easy to correct.
0 x