Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry H009

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

New Henry H009

Post by GFK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Well, I picked up my Henry H009 yesterday. Yaaa! It looks well made. As I was inspecting it and cleaning it last night, two things caught my attention. 1. The inner tube has tarnished (this I knew about before the purchased):
DSCN0448.JPG
2. The bore seems very dirty. I spent a few hours cleaning it last night. I used my typical process of Hoppe's No. 9 (or Kleen Bore N0. 10 Copper Cutter), brass brush and patches. But, the patches were still coming out with very noticeable amount of residue. I understand it will not be spotless. But, when I look down the barrel with a bore light, I can see lots of areas with brownish or copper tint. Is this typical? Has anyone else noticed this?
DSCN0447.JPG
I do not recall doing an extensive cleaning process on my Marlin last year when I bought it. I just shot it and cleaned it. When I look down the barrel, I do not see any brownish or copper areas of concern. I have only shoot about 200 rounds or so. I suspect the test firing of the H009 was less than 200 rounds?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GFK on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New Henry H009

Post by Steve51 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:04 pm

I really like the looks of that rifle!

If I suspect lead or copper, I use KROIL on the barrel and let it sit for at least an hour. The run patches or a bore snake through the barrel. Then I use Ballistol and sometimes I let it set for a while before I complete the cleaning. I have always been able to obtain clean patches in the end. I use a shaving brush with Balistol on the exterior - metal and wood and then wipe it down.

Good luck!
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have always had a clean patch when cleaning my Marlin as well. I contacted Henry, and it would like for me to return the rifle. So, the concern can be addressed. I suspect copper fouling as well. I just did not expect such a thing from a new rifle. Maybe, lots of rounds were used during the test firing, and it was not clean to well afterward (I guess someone was having fun). But I am happy to report, Henry is attempting to make it right.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:44 pm

welcome indeed .... happy to have you join our forum .... I have no doubt you will enjoy your 30-30 .... do you plan to reload your ammo .... we have worked up a load that has really unleashed the power and accuracy of ours .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 163#p52163

after doing so, take a look at our When will we hit 500 in "How many" contest at this link ===>http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 080#p52080 <===
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 pm

I am not currently planning to do reloads. But, who knows.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 pm

OP, when I clean the bore on my H009, I get green patches, too. I don’t worry about it, as the rifle is a tackdriver. I suspect, though, that for some reason the bore is a little rough or porous. My advice to you is the same: don’t worry about it. Clean the black from your bore, and quit cleaning.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for the reply ditto1958. I thought about that. Then, I noticed that the bore had several areas with a brownish tint. Considering it has been sitting in a dealer's gun rack for the past two years, it may not be a bad idea to have it inspected. I am wondering if rust could have started as well. Patches from my Marlin 336W comes clean. So, I just thought it might be best to start from a known good point if possible. Greenish tint residue is usually an indication of copper being present. I probably could have spent a few more hours cleaning it. But, I did not expect such a thing with a new gun. I understand it has been test fired. Yet, I expected to spent my initial time with it dirtying it up not cleaning it. Hopefully, the return trip will not take too long.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:46 pm

I also would have concerns about a brand new gun having enough copper in the barrel to be able to see it. My H009 doesn't give me patches like that when cleaning after having run 100 rounds through it.
3 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 pm

GFK wrote:Thanks for the reply ditto1958. I thought about that. Then, I noticed that the bore had several areas with a brownish tint. Considering it has been sitting in a dealer's gun rack for the past two years, it may not be a bad idea to have it inspected.
I bet it's been doing more than sitting on the rack. That is more copper than any "test firing" should leave. Send it to HRA and they can sort it out.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:I bet it's been doing more than sitting on the rack. That is more copper than any "test firing" should leave. Send it to HRA and they can sort it out.
Thanks Ojaileveraction. That is what I was thinking. I plan to send it back Friday. HRA is close until the 2nd. I see no sense in letting it sit somewhere for a week until HRA opens.
0 x