Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Front sight With the Skinnery Express Receiver Sight

Pitchman1968
Cowhand
United States of America

Front sight With the Skinnery Express Receiver Sight

Post by Pitchman1968 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello, I need some coaching and advice on the Skinner Express Peep Sight. I have owned my Henry .44 Mag BBB for 2 years and I am now ready to replace the factory buckhorn sight with the Skinner Express receiver peep sight. Everything I have read indicates that consistent accuracy will improve with the Skinner receiver sight. I especially like the feature of adjusting for windage and elevation using a small Allen wrench. However, I don't know if a need to order a new front sight to get the maximum benefit from the receiver sight. If you think I should get a new front sight, which of the Skinner front sights should I order? Thanks in advance for any counsel you can provide.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Front sight With the Skinnery Express Receiver Sight

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm

If you have the standard gold bead front you should be just fine. Actually any front will work with a rear peep but the bead style gives a nice, defined sight picture.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 pm

As long as you get the correct height for the front sight, it's very much a personal call on the style. I prefer a blade front for target work, but a standard bead front will work just fine, too. Some folks also like the fiber optic fronts.
1 x

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:37 pm

I would say shoot it with the front sight that’s already on it and your preferred load and see how it shoots. I have one on my Marlin and it shoots just fine with the factory sight.
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 am

On the brass Big Boy the factory front sight is often a bit too short. but I'd start with it to see what you have after installing the rear peep.

This might help. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=711
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

arky
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by arky » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 am

Shoot with the original front sight first. If that does not work out, ( it will often shoot high) Skinner provides instructions and a calculator on their web-sight that will calculate how much taller your front sight needs to be.
0 x