Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry BB .357 lever opening when load tube slid in.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry BB .357 lever opening when load tube slid in.

Post by Mistered » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:53 am

Actually the term deburring is not really correct as I beveled the tube opening. I only used 'deburring' it since many are familiar with this process during case prep for reloading.
Make sure you understand what I have described as it does not make the end more 'blunt' as you mentioned but the beveling provides a slight 'ramp' which allows the end of the tube to ride over the rims of the cases while being inserted. Mine is getting better with use as the bevel is becoming much smoother.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 pm

I have not yet done the blunting as from your clarification it isn't something I would want to do now. The H009B tube came from the factory with a slight bevel already inside the tube opening. The tube opening is also slightly flared wider as part of the bevel. When I increased the bevel ramp it also sharpened the leading edge of the tube (ie "...making the leading edge of the load tube thinner (closer to razor sharp"). Am I messing up the technique some how?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 am

The H009B tube came from the factory with a slight bevel already inside the tube opening. The tube opening is also slightly flared wider as part of the bevel.
If this is in fact the case, i.e. The opening is already beveled and slightly flared then it should be clearing the case rims then. At this point I would clean the inside of the tube as I previously posted about as it being dirty (from the factory) also contributed to my loading problems. Avoid any lube on the inside and spring other than something very thin as protectant and not necessarily lubrication. Load tubes, like SA mags in pistols need to be essentially 'dry' to operate properly.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Is Remington Dry Lube ok? It leaves a dry silicone residue once the spray evaporates.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Is Remington Dry Lube ok? It leaves a dry silicone residue once the spray evaporates.
Probably dang near perfect! I use Rem-Oil in the spray can and let it dry and wipe of any excess to nearly non existent.
I did NOT disassemble my load tube for cleaning but just carefully used a .45 caliber bore mop to clean and depressed the follower & spring until they stopped compressing and back out a gain a couple times - then ran a dry patch to remove the Hoppes # 9 and then the Rem oil on a patch.
I will be disassembling it when I machine and install a 'better' idea I have for a follower for the load tube - but thats a different subject.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I've used the bore mop on mine as well. Still sounds/feeling like there might be some fine brass grit in behind the follower. Thinking I might need to fully disassemble and clean well. Punch out the locking pin and remove the twist knob, spring and follower.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Thinking I might need to fully disassemble and clean well.
I agree completely! Cleaning a gun has sometimes eliminated more problems than there ever were to begin with! No doubt you might have some grit or metal residue inside you cannot get to without disassembly.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:31 am

Mistered wrote:when I machine and install a 'better' idea I have for a follower for the load tube - but thats a different subject.
Ok I'll bite. Please do share.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:42 am

I posted on this previously but basically I am going to turn a follower that has a shorter extended length but will be a bit longer inside the tube and will fit more 'snugly' without canting over. I suspect part of the loading problem we are experiencing might also be due to the follower but it's just a theory I have.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 am

given the belief that the vast majority work, it might pay to closely examine one that doesn't directly adjacent to one that doesn't .... there has to be a difference
0 x