Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry BB .357 lever opening when load tube slid in.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Henry BB .357 lever opening when load tube slid in.

Post by Mistered » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am

So let me get this straight. You in essence, deburred the brass tube rod?
Yep - thats exactly what I did but it has led me to another idea to improve this even more.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:43 am

to be clear, deburred inside or outside of the tube rod :?:
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:58 am

INSIDE ONLY!
0 x

Ray
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Ray » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm

I’m going to give this a try. Henry got back to me and said the 45/70 rounds have a lip and that I should spin the brass tube as I push it down. They gave me no real insight on why the action opens as I do this. I’m going to debur the brass tube.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I’m going to give this a try.
I can hardly wait for a report! I had to load mine AGAIN when I got home tonight just to make sure I wasn't dreaming - nine .357 rounds in the tube and no hang ups!
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Awesome. I’m gonna try that, too!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:13 pm

ANOTHER LOAD TUBE UPDATE - I cleaned the outer load tube with a 16 ga shotgun MOP and Hoppes # 9 and the inner tube with a 20 Ga mop. A few passes with a LIGHT coat of Hoppes, wipe down and let dry and the inner tube slides with NO hesitation. Make sure the lever is OPEN to allow the mop to enter all the way to the cartridge lift area. NOTE ! when cleaning the inner tube push the follower in with the mop and push all the way in and the spring should compress and allow the mop to push smoothly to within about 4" of the muzzle end of the tube (which is about where nine rounds stop) Mine hesitated a little but then went smoothly. I think most of the loading problems are with the sharp shoulder of the end of the inner tube and a dirty inner and outer tube. I am still going to disassemble the my inner tube by taking the finger plug off and removing the spring and cleaning it 100% but a quick mop out with Hoppes has improved it DRAMATICALLY!
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am

Mistered wrote:ANOTHER LOAD TUBE UPDATE - I cleaned the outer load tube with a 16 ga shotgun MOP and Hoppes # 9 and the inner tube with a 20 Ga mop. A few passes with a LIGHT coat of Hoppes, wipe down and let dry and the inner tube slides with NO hesitation. Make sure the lever is OPEN to allow the mop to enter all the way to the cartridge lift area. NOTE ! when cleaning the inner tube push the follower in with the mop and push all the way in and the spring should compress and allow the mop to push smoothly to within about 4" of the muzzle end of the tube (which is about where nine rounds stop) Mine hesitated a little but then went smoothly. I think most of the loading problems are with the sharp shoulder of the end of the inner tube and a dirty inner and outer tube. I am still going to disassemble the my inner tube by taking the finger plug off and removing the spring and cleaning it 100% but a quick mop out with Hoppes has improved it DRAMATICALLY!
I guess I took the lazy way. I used a one step method (CLP [hoping to get some of the spring too] using 410-ga and 20-ga mops respectively, 30-30). The tubes (inner and outer) were dirty though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:39 am

I used a one step method (CLP [hoping to get some of the spring too]
I haven't used CLP in a long time but if I remember i leaves a thin residue. If that is the case I would follow up with Hoppe's to get the residue out. The tubes & springs need to be clean & DRY for proper operation. I believe most owners are NOT cleaning the tubes when they get their rifle and this is causing most of the problems I read. The deburring I described previously might NOT be necessary is all cases but it will not hurt and WILL improve the tube's travel down over the cartridge rims.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Another idea here is I like to use nylon bore brushes. Brownells sells them in all calibers. The 45 cal will fit nice in a 357. I take the large round patches and wrap them over the end of the brush spray them with cleaner and run them down the length of that tube. I use the same method on the inner tube. This allows one to change the patches. Works good for me. Al
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55