Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scopes And Leverguns

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Scopes And Leverguns

Post by BigBlue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 am

I'll admit that I always thought putting a scope on a levergun was akin to blasphemy, but as my eyes aged, along with everything else, I can't see using open sights. Even peep sights, which kept me going for many years, aren't good enough. I wear bifocals for both seeing and looking so when I use iron sights I can look at the target, or see the front sight, but not both. That said I'm forced to turn to scopes and was wondering what you all think is the ideal scope for a leveraction rifle? I've been eyeing the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20. Usual hunting distance for me is under 100 yards with a rare shot going beyond that.
2 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Scopes And Leverguns

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 am

Sooner or later, we'll all get there. I sure have. Have no hesitation putting a scope on a lever gun, now, but I still keep some setup with peep sights and even some with red dots. That way I choose the rifle setup to suit my needs and tastes on any given day.

I'm a huge believer in these low power 1-4, 1.5-5x class scopes with a straight tube in front on lever guns. They don't weigh much, plus you can mount them lower than scopes with a bell in front. Set at 1x with an easy to see reticle and they are lightning fast to get on target. Here's an old Leupold 1-4x on our Marlin 357.

To answer your question on the Leupold R, have used that scope on other guns and it is superb. Simple as that. Love that lighted dot in the center. At 4x, it draws your eye right to the illuminated dot, right now. Keeps your concentration on the crosshairs where it belongs. Would be amazing back in the dark wood or dim light. Only disadvantage is that it's a 30mm tube scope, so it weighs more than most of these low power scopes. Also very expensive, of course.

Another great scope, 1" tube and more affordable, though not cheap, is the Leupold 1.5-5x 3i. Great optics, a noticeable improvement over the VX2 grade. Nice to have that 5x option for longer shots, too. Here's one on another Marlin 1894.

Don't overlook a red dot. Yeah, it can be tough getting past that traditional thing, but absolutely nothing easier to use without going to a scope and never enough weight or bulk to affect handling. I can keep up with a red dot as far as group sizes at 50 yards with a peep, but only on days when my eyes are cooperating and the light is good. With a red dot, though, I can ALWAYS shoot, well, regardless of the light.

An Ultradot 25 on another Marlin
5 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 pm

I wanted one rifle w/o a scope, and that would be the Henry.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:58 pm

When my eyes start to go, that's when the scatter-gun comes out....
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 pm

The Leopold VX-R series of riflescopes are my favorites. Got a VX-R Patrol 1.25-4 on an AR15 and a VX-R 2-7 on the Henry 45-70. Love them both. Someday when I get a .44 Mag rifle it will wear a VX-R.
1 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

as with all rifles, to my way of thinking, several factors go into determining the best scope .... anticipated shooting range is but one of them .... field of view, weight, reticle, fixed or telescopic, anticipated target, are others ..... as a rule of thumb I've always gone with 1 power for each 10 yards of your longest projected shooting distance .... I consider most Henry big game rifles (Long Rangers excluded) to be 100 yard rifles .... can they hit at further distances, absolutely .... that's just a figure I chose .... accordingly a variable power scope with a top power around 10 would be my choice .... accordingly, our 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45-70 have been fitted with 3X9's .... scope brand is most certainly a matter of personal preference .... for me, any brand is fine so long as it is a Nikon .. ;)
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, I decided to took up hunting later in life. I also thought a scope was not fitting for a lever action rifle. Yet, I wanted to take advantage of the times. This basic Marlin (336W) came with a scope.
DSCN0376.JPG
It is a 3-9x32mm. It has no markings on it. The best that I have gathered is it was produced for Marlin's rifles. It has what is called a duplex reticle.
duplex-reticles.png
Nothing fancy. I imagine the scope does not cost much more than $50. So far, I have been able to hit what I am aiming at with it though. However, it seems fitting to keep the Henry without a scope. It looks more traditional.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:09 pm

BigBlue wrote:I've been eyeing the Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20. Usual hunting distance for me is under 100 yards with a rare shot going beyond that.
Honestly, I don't see how you could go wrong with that choice. It would be right up there at the top of my list.

I am considering an Aimpoint on a rifle that will be used for Cape Buffalo...but I could also see putting one on a short-range lever actioned thumper rifle.

So yeah... ~ 1 - 4 x variable or a red dot of some sort.

I too am struggling though with the thought of ruining the beautiful lines of my Henry rifles.

The Skinner peeps look right at home. Scopes...not so much!!
Last edited by tarbe on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

tarbe
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by tarbe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

North Country Gal wrote: "Love that lighted dot in the center. At 4x, it draws your eye right to the illuminated dot, right now"

Agree!

I shot the below hog on my place in MO and it was so dark I could not see it with my naked eye. I was actually coming down out of my tree after last light, when the sounder came through - I had to pull the rifle back up quickly and get it loaded for the shot, before they got out of range!

The Leupold VX-6 2-12 gathered just enough light that I could make out the outline of the porker, and the illuminated dot told me where to hold. The pig never took a step after the 180gr Ballistic Tip from the 300 H&H hit her.

And just for the record...that is "sort of" a lever gun in the pic! haha
TE Hog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
USMC 1976 - 1980 0351

Henry H010
Henry H010CC
Savage M99 308 (born in '57 like me!)
Browning M53 32-20
336 30-30
No 1 300 H&H
No 1 375 H&H
1895 30-40 Krag
Ruger American 308
Several Nasty Black Rifles :o

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by BigBlue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 am

tarbe wrote:
And just for the record...that is "sort of" a lever gun in the pic! haha
Two of my favorite" sort of" leverguns look just like it. One in .30-06 and the other in .280. Congrats on a nice hog!
1 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton