Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Long Ranger vs Browning BLR?

BigBlue
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry Long Ranger vs Browning BLR?

Post by BigBlue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:42 pm

While I've never owned either rifle, I had always been interested in getting a Browning BLR. I had only recently become aware of the Long Ranger, so that had never before been a consideration for me. I would be very interested to hear from someone with experience with both rifles, as to the pros and cons of either. The prices are very close, well close enough not to be a big consideration. Browning certainly has an edge in the amount of cartridges for which they chamber their rifles. I had always been keen to get a .358. Henry of course being American made holds a lot of sway in my book.
0 x
“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry Long Ranger vs Browning BLR?

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I have a 1970 Belgium made Browning BLR 308 ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... blr#p49064 <=== it was my first big game rifle and is still one I have complete faith in .... until Henry came out with their Long Ranger 308 I would not have looked at any other brand .... I haven't ever fired a Long Ranger but would love to do so .... based on what I've heard and what I know about the quality of the 3 Henry rifles we own, if making a purchase today, I'd go with the Long Ranger if they had one in the caliber I was looking for
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 am

I haven’t owned, or even fired, either rifle. I suspect, however, that these days the Long Ranger is likely the better value.
2 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of shooting the new Henry, but I used a BLR on an impromptu antelope hunt when TDY quite a few years ago. It fired and performed flawlessly. My first exposure to such a rifle. Very impressive.

I have no good reason why I don't own one, other than it just never felt like a traditional lever to me. The bolt rifle always filled that niche, and I never saw the need to switch.

A long ranger in .223 would be a mighty tempting coyote rifle.
2 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:31 am

Frontiersman wrote:I have no good reason why I don't own one, other than it just never felt like a traditional lever to me. The bolt rifle always filled that niche, and I never saw the need to switch.
Well with the BLR or HLR you would think you'd get the second shot off faster, but are these guns as accurate as a bolt?

You're probably talking fractions of MOA at this point, though..............
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 am

Henry88 wrote:Well with the BLR or HLR you would think you'd get the second shot off faster, but are these guns as accurate as a bolt?

You're probably talking fractions of MOA at this point, though..............

the BLR and HLR are designed and built to be hunting rifles .... I consider our 308 BLR to be extremely accurate .... several times I've fired 4 interlocking rounds at 100 yards with the 5th round being very close but not touching the others .... I have no doubt that the fault is mine and not the rifle's .... I haven't fired a HLR but suspect they are capable of better accuracy than most of the folks who will be pulling their triggers .... realistically, people who are looking for single hole accuracy will be disappointed .... if they want it, they need to spend a great deal more money
2 x

bmur66
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmur66 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am

I have a BLR in .308 with the pistol grip stock and it is one beautiful rifle. The only problem I have with it is that I am afraid to put a ding in it. The HLR looks very similar in how it functions. I held one at a gun show and it was very tempting.
0 x

Sfoster4
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Sfoster4 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 am

I have the Long Ranger .308. Very accurate and I love shooting it. I would like to try a BLR but I already have the Long Ranger.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 am

I recently held a HLR at a LGS and was very impressed. Balance, fit an finish were excellent - however I were looking for a rifle in this class I would first look for a BLR only for the known quality and tradition of the name. Same I'd for a 30-30 - I would find a nice Winchester before a Henry ONLY for the tradition of the name, history and quality. On the other hand if the origional of either of these were extremely rare and unobtainable then a Henry would be the logical choice.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am

as noted earlier in this thread, we have a Belgium made 1970 BLR 308 and it is an excellent rifle .... I'd love to see Henry produce a Long Ranger 30-30
0 x