Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

loading tube

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: loading tube

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Mistered wrote:
I want ours to work as they should and the best way to achieve that is to let their experts take care of the issue
I agree but sending a gun back seems like such a hassle (never have had to do it) and it appears to me a lot of the issues guns get sent back for could probably have been taken care of with a little mechanical inclination and ingenuity. I believe I solved the loading tube issue I experienced (and the same that many have described) and it is still working flawlessly - but thats just me - and I believe everyone should do what they think is best. I have heard some horror stories about those who have sent guns back to the various Mfgs. only to have them come back the same - or worse than before being sent in (and at least one has been from Henry)
There are no doubt sometimes major problems that require factory assistance but most gun issues can probably be easily resolved with a simple teardown and good cleaning - and possibly a little deburrring or smoothing of some parts.
I can agree. Just got mine back due to a cleaning issue (probably should addressed myself, but thought a new gun should be a clean gun). Anyway, the action is not as smooth as it was before, very stiff. Plan to take the bolt out and clean up the receiver to see if it helps. It seemed a little rough.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:34 pm

GFK,
I've noticed the same thing after I replaced the lever on my 30-30 (2013 model). If your 2015 model had the old style lever, Henry likely replaced it with the new "anti-popping" version. I think the lever plunger spring is stiffer, I don't see how the modification to the "head" of the lever would have that effect. My rifle's action was a lot stiffer at first, after running it some it's almost as smooth as it was, but still takes more effort to open. Previously, when loaded, my rifle opened too easy - with the slightest bump - so this is how I expected it to be. I'm sure it'll smooth up more as I use it.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Yornoc3 wrote:GFK,
I've noticed the same thing after I replaced the lever on my 30-30 (2013 model). If your 2015 model had the old style lever, Henry likely replaced it with the new "anti-popping" version. I think the lever plunger spring is stiffer, I don't see how the modification to the "head" of the lever would have that effect. My rifle's action was a lot stiffer at first, after running it some it's almost as smooth as it was, but still takes more effort to open. Previously, when loaded, my rifle opened too easy - with the slightest bump - so this is how I expected it to be. I'm sure it'll smooth up more as I use it.
Oh. Okay. Yes, it is harder to open now. Thanks!
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

but thought a new gun should be a clean gun)
Yes - most new guns are CLEAN - but they are not cleaned and lubed for USE - which typically needs to be done by the owner.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:14 pm

Mistered wrote:
but thought a new gun should be a clean gun)
Yes - most new guns are CLEAN - but they are not cleaned and lubed for USE - which typically needs to be done by the owner.
Interesting. This is my fourth new gun (all are of different manufacturers). None of the others required such a cleaning.
Last edited by GFK on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:29 pm

None of the others required such a cleaning.
There are exceptions and some might be better than others but ALL new guns SHOULD be stripped, cleaned and lubed PRIOR to use - but not all are and may experience varying degrees of functioning problems. If the four you have are operating OK then I would say you got lucky but I read so many posts about function issues only to find out the guns were never cleaned or lubed when new and THAT may have made the difference. I'll say however ALL new Henry loading tubes need to be cleaned inside and out for proper operation and this might eliminate the typical problems most experience with them - cleaning mine (and deburring the opening) resulted in it being glass smooth when being pushed down on the ammo with almost ZERO hesitation.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Mistered wrote:
None of the others required such a cleaning.
There are exceptions and some might be better than others but ALL new guns SHOULD be stripped, cleaned and lubed PRIOR to use - but not all are and may experience varying degrees of functioning problems. If the four you have are operating OK then I would say you got lucky but I read so many posts about function issues only to find out the guns were never cleaned or lubed when new and THAT may have made the difference. I'll say however ALL new Henry loading tubes need to be cleaned inside and out for proper operation and this might eliminate the typical problems most experience with them - cleaning mine (and deburring the opening) resulted in it being glass smooth when being pushed down on the ammo with almost ZERO hesitation.
Okay. Thanks. I was thinking about what I could use to clean the tube. I thinking of using a shotgun mop or something of a sort.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am

Read the thread I started about my loading tube problem and what I did to resolve it.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:24 am

Oaky. Thanks!
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm

You can buy o-ring assortments if you choose to. I have assortments on hand for other reasons but when my Henry o-rings got too loose over time, I just called Henry customer service and they sent me new ones free of charge. Can't beat that!
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW