Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

loading tube

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: loading tube

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:03 pm

After shooting a .357 (Jacob's) at JEBar's place and saw how easy the inner tube locked and unlocked compared to mine I emailed Henry and got into a rather long dialog with the rep. Willing to send a new tube but would rather have the rifle sent back to examine. Thoughts ladies and gents?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:27 pm

The Wiz wrote:After shooting a .357 (Jacob's) at JEBar's place and saw how easy the inner tube locked and unlocked compared to mine I emailed Henry and got into a rather long dialog with the rep. Willing to send a new tube but would rather have the rifle sent back to examine. Thoughts ladies and gents?
They turn these things around quickly, so unless you can't let it out of your sight for ten days, I'd let them check it out and give it a clean bill of health. It may only need a new inner tube, but it may be something else. They'll find it if it exists.
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
The Wiz wrote:After shooting a .357 (Jacob's) at JEBar's place and saw how easy the inner tube locked and unlocked compared to mine I emailed Henry and got into a rather long dialog with the rep. Willing to send a new tube but would rather have the rifle sent back to examine. Thoughts ladies and gents?
They turn these things around quickly, so unless you can't let it out of your sight for ten days, I'd let them check it out and give it a clean bill of health. It may only need a new inner tube, but it may be something else. They'll find it if it exists.
Seems like a plan!
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am

I'd hate to have to send any of ours back but in the long run, that's (without a doubt) the best way to go .... I want ours to work as they should and the best way to achieve that is to let their experts take care of the issue
1 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Ya, I'll think I am going to do that.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 pm

The o-ring provides a bit of flexibility and spring tension so that the mag tube can positively latch and stay that way.

You can use a bit of mineral oil and fine wet/dry paper to make it thinner, if you feel the need.

You can buy a large assortment of O-rings at any harbor freight store.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Sending it back. Using original box. Henry wants the box covered in shipping paper so no logo's show. Anything else I should do. They are covering shipping and insurance.
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm glad you are sending it back .... with them insuring it and paying the bill, I'd wrap it up per their instructions and sent it to them .... really looking forward to hearing your impressions after its returned to you
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 am

The Wiz wrote:Sending it back. Using original box. Henry wants the box covered in shipping paper so no logo's show. Anything else I should do. They are covering shipping and insurance.
When I sent mine back, UPS does not accept anything wrapped in paper. I was able to get a brown unmarked box from the gun shop I purchased the rifle from. The original box fit nicely inside it. I also got a receipt from UPS just to be on the safe side.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:59 am

I want ours to work as they should and the best way to achieve that is to let their experts take care of the issue
I agree but sending a gun back seems like such a hassle (never have had to do it) and it appears to me a lot of the issues guns get sent back for could probably have been taken care of with a little mechanical inclination and ingenuity. I believe I solved the loading tube issue I experienced (and the same that many have described) and it is still working flawlessly - but thats just me - and I believe everyone should do what they think is best. I have heard some horror stories about those who have sent guns back to the various Mfgs. only to have them come back the same - or worse than before being sent in (and at least one has been from Henry)
There are no doubt sometimes major problems that require factory assistance but most gun issues can probably be easily resolved with a simple teardown and good cleaning - and possibly a little deburrring or smoothing of some parts.
1 x