Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rifle in .327 Federal

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Rifle in .327 Federal

Post by Frontiersman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Having waited a year for a BBS 20" at my LGS, I decided to invoke Mr. Imperato's invitation to email him for help. I wanted to use it for deer season, and at a month out, figured I had better try harder.

He was very responsive for the first couple weeks, passing me to an employee. He seemed surprised I could not get one as they had been shipping them for months. There was some initial contact with my LGS to communicate distributor info. From what we can tell, distributors are only getting a trickle of guns for a high demand. This left me wondering ... did he actually think supply was meeting demand? I'm sure it is a fickle market.

4 weeks later, no results. My LGS found out they had forgot about me. I wasn't on the list. How do we know? They were contacting him for another customer that arranged a "drop shipment" direct to the dealer (invoiced through distributor), and he asked why the delay with mine.

They vowed to throw another rifle on the truck for me, but it appears to be the wrong one. So, another email sent.

I suppose I should be amazed they respond to customer email at all, but having been offered false hope, I can't help share the disappointment.

I have faith they will sort it out eventually, I'll keep you posted.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Frontiersman wrote:4 weeks later, no results. My LGS found out they had forgot about me. I wasn't on the list. How do we know? They were contacting him for another customer that arranged a "drop shipment" direct to the dealer (invoiced through distributor), and he asked why the delay with mine.
for me, that's impressive .... I wonder what percentage of Owners of companies with such a large customer base would remember that he hadn't heard anything from a request made a month earlier .... I'd suggest another email to him
1 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm

"Him" was my dealer in that comment. They totally forgot about me. I just didn't get added to someone's list, even though they had contacted my dealer for his info. I did email his employee and cc'd Mr. Imperato from my original email. No reply today.

It's not that I don't understand, I deal with a tremendous customer base myself, it is a real challenge to address everyone as if they are important. The spreadsheets alone are a full time job.
1 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm

So, I received my rifle today. Yes, it's the model I asked for. It's a very beautiful rifle. There are a couple minor fit and finish details that have been better in my other Henry's, but certainly not enough for me to send it back. Very, very nice overall. The action and trigger are incredibly smooth. I can't imagine how it will get even better after a few hundred rounds, but it probably will.

First, it is amazing that they will deal with their customers at this level, it shouldn't be amazing, but it is. Every company should be doing this.

Now, if I could offer suggestions for improvement ... Mr. Imperato was incredible. Above and beyond. Once assigned to an employee, they should have emailed me and let me know they were working on it. And I should have been affirmed of what was being shipped, when, etc. Once, Mr. Imperato passed the torch, I heard nothing from them. They did communicate with my dealer enough to get it to me. I suppose even that was way above and beyond in today's market. But I should have been bragging all along the process, instead of wondering if and when this was going to happen.

Now, what I will look for ... is if and when these become regularly available to the public. I'll be really surprised if these become common. But as we can see. Anything is possible with Henry.

Information you might find insightful. My rifle was proofed NOV 16. Low 500s serial number. That is like 10 per state, so far. No wonder we are not seeing them on the shelves. So again I wonder, how could we be surprised I didn't already find one?

I will continue to buy Henry rifles. I have more than a few to add to my collection.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

I had similar issues locating mine too.
Not as bad as yours, but it was an agonizing 8 months.
My serial number is under 120 and I was astounded that it was that low.
Mine was drop shipped to the dealer as well.
I did not request this. It was graciously offered by Mr. Imperato, and I couldn't accept fast enough.

Still, it took 8 months to receive mine from the time I placed the order.
Mine was supposed to have gone through Davisons Gallery of Guns for the distributor.
I was told by the Henry rep that Davison's would be credited with the sale, but they never saw the rifle.
In fact, Davison's STILL doesn't have them in stock.

Love my Henry(s).
0 x

dondra
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dondra » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 am

I have a weakness for 327 Fed. Mag. fire arms. Four rev. and finally a lever action rifle!
I read over a year ago Henry was going to start Manufacturing them! Hurried over to LGS was informed "it will be a while before we see them here". Finally a year later I stopped in to get some screws for my shotgun. Got them in hand, decided too go look through the Lever guns.Had to read the tag three times before I believed it finally has happened! I laid it away on the spot! Didn't even confer with my bride! ( I've found it's much more enjoyable getting a new gun if she is on board)
Just before Thanksgiving she gave me a check and told me to go get my gun! "Early Christmas Present" . Very exciting , and no buyers remorse.I apologize for the long winded post, but it covers over a year of waiting.
4 x

CharlieW
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by CharlieW » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Had been having no luck ordering a .327 carbine thru the friendly LGS in town. Caught one on the web while everybody was digesting their turkey dinners, and got it for the opening bid. Took it to the range today, right out of the box, and had a pretty good time. The carbine is tiny and light compared to my .44 Big Boy. It shot well once I adjusted the elevation, tight groups a little to the left, but I think that is mostly me. I ran 85 grain Federals thru it with no issues, had a couple of light strikes on 100 gr Federals - all fired on the second try. I will continue the break in and check some other boxes of Federals. I reload some for my .327 pistols, but the rifle is soft shooting even with the 100 gr. Federals, which are the hottest rounds I have found. These darn Henry's are addicting...
1 x
Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:29 pm

glad you were able to find a 327 ... please keep us up to date on your search for loads to use with it ..... we have a growing number of 327 owners and from what I can tell, most load their own ammo
0 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:13 pm

So far, I have only tried hand loads. That is probably what I will stick with. I have a number of rifles that I have never fired a jacketed bullet. I have no lead issues using trail boss powder. Here is what I have tried so far.

100 rounds of .32 H&R 94gr (.312) RNFP with Trail Boss.

50 rounds of .32 H&R 115gr (.312) RNFP with Trail Boss.

200 rounds of .327 100gr (.312) RNFP with Trail Boss.

I set my measure to throw TB at about 1/10th inch below the seated bullet base. Most measures throw +/- .1 grains of powder. The little bit of space helps assure you don't get a compressed load. The only time I have seen TB behave erratically, is when you compress it. It is a very easy to load powder. You can load any cartridge with TB using the same method.

All loads were very mild. With the pleasant pop that you don't get from a .22. I don't have a chronograph, but you could tell some difference between .327 and .32 H&R. The extra case capacity probably picks up a 100 fps or so.
0 x

Barbarosa
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Barbarosa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Just picked mine up today, used $525 out the door. As new, the guy who purchased it wanted the carbine instead. Hope to shoot it this weekend.
0 x