The Saga Continues

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Re: The Saga Continues

Post by Redthies » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:56 pm

5shot wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 pm
What is involved in “slugging” the barrel?

I’d be overjoyed if my .44 could achieve that!
[/quote]

Big Al52 pretty well described slugging. For a .44 I use a 3/8" hardwood dowel and spin the last inch on both ends in sandpaper until a fired 9mm case can be slipped on. (40 S&W works on a .45) I slug from the breech end and with the Henry's the toughest part is getting it started because the transition from chamber to rifling is very abrupt. Make sure the bore is well oiled.
[/quote]

So you are ramming a 9mm case downr your barrel? That doesn’t sound like a wise practice. What is the point of it? Forgive my ignorance on the practice, but I’ve never had any reason to look into it before.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:04 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
If Dan responds it will surprise me. He has never responded to anything I have sent him
Dan responded with a “we’ll look into it”. He passed the buck down to Tom Kotz, and John Grech who is the Canadian warranty depot. I just got a “fill out this form, and send me the gun” from him. I replied with “Um, no”. I asked him to tell me if he had a barrel on hand, and if so, how long the turn around would be. I CC’D Tom Kotz. We will see what they say.

Frankly, these guys are really screwing up a great company. They should have just stuck with doing fantastic lever guns and left the shotgun, PCC and revolver market to others.

On another note, I had a brand new Ruger Marlin in .44 Mag in my hands today. It’s action isn’t near as smooth as a Henry, but I bet it shoots! They are beautiful guns. Henry best get their act together or they are going to lose a lot of business to Ruger/Marlin!
3 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:21 am

[/quote]

So you are ramming a 9mm case downr your barrel? That doesn’t sound like a wise practice. What is the point of it? Forgive my ignorance on the practice, but I’ve never had any reason to look into it before.
[/quote]

The brass case is much softer than barrel steel and is smaller in diameter than the bore. You have a hard surface to tap on and push with. Dimensions are important to bullet casters and to those of us that just have to have numbers. :lol: Of course, if the gun is shooting just fine there's probably no need for slugging at all.
1 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:32 am

parson48 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:16 am
Henry's recommended Federal 240 gr. loads, which I tried. At a dollar a pop, chasing accuracy via different factory loads would soon break my bank!

Such bullets have long been pretty much the standard. I believe that a fairly costly rifle should shoot these accurately.

I don't know if a refund is a possibility, but that is my hope at this point.
I agree and hope you get some satisfaction from them. Mine is heading to UPS tomorrow and I only plan to do this once.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:35 am

Redthies wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:04 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
If Dan responds it will surprise me. He has never responded to anything I have sent him
Dan responded with a “we’ll look into it”. He passed the buck down to Tom Kotz, and John Grech who is the Canadian warranty depot. I just got a “fill out this form, and send me the gun” from him. I replied with “Um, no”. I asked him to tell me if he had a barrel on hand, and if so, how long the turn around would be. I CC’D Tom Kotz. We will see what they say.

Frankly, these guys are really screwing up a great company. They should have just stuck with doing fantastic lever guns and left the shotgun, PCC and revolver market to others.

On another note, I had a brand new Ruger Marlin in .44 Mag in my hands today. It’s action isn’t near as smooth as a Henry, but I bet it shoots! They are beautiful guns. Henry best get their act together or they are going to lose a lot of business to Ruger/Marlin!
Im glad he responded as he should. I feel your frustration on the entire situation. Agreed the action isn’t as smooth on the Marlin but its not that bad either. As I mentioned Id buy one before I bought a new Henry
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:57 am

I am of two minds on this whole thing. I want the Henry to shoot well, so I guess if they get a barrel, I’ll send it (based on 1:20 being a “proper” twist rate), but I also would love a new Marlin, so I’m not opposed to letting the Henry go and putting the money towards a Marlin. I think the resale value of my Henry would be slightly higher with a new 1:20 barrel as well. There at least wouldn’t be people like me who hear “.44 with 1:38” and immediately say “next”.

As you said Al, the Marlin certainly isn’t terrible, and I’m sure that like my 336BL, a disassembly and polish will have it much improved. My 336 is a early 2020 build, and Remington seemed to have it together a lot more by then. I didn’t even pull the trigger once on it before I stripped it, lightened the trigger spring a hair, and polished the whole shebang with wet and dry 800 and some gun oil. It is so close to as slick as a Henry now, I’m sure I can do the same with a Ruglin too.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:49 pm

To me the Marlin 1894 just screams Cowboy and is a more authentic looking old west gun compared to the bulky Henry.
If I were looking for a 44 mag rifle these days I sure wouldn't be looking at a Henry especially with all the woo's of late.

RP
3 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

parson48
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by parson48 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:36 pm

Henry has agreed to refund the purchase price of my rifle so, I guess that this saga has come to an end.
5 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:55 pm

Good for you! If you are still interested in a .44 Mag, you might fine in this link, you might like:

https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles/le ... er=.44+Mag
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm

parson48. It's good to see they made it right. They couldn't reasonably expect you to send it in again.

I sent mine in last Thursday morning, they got it Friday and I just got an e-mail it'll be here tomorrow. Fastest turn around I've ever seen from a gun company. :o I'm hoping it's fixed but I've got a range day Thursday. Fingers crossed.
4 x