Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

When was my H006C built?

mdomzalski
Tenderfoot
United States of America

When was my H006C built?

Post by mdomzalski » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:06 pm

First post, so please bear with me.

I acquired an H006C before the new year and worked it over. It was manufactured on 1 July 2006, firmly at the Brooklyn site as the barrel says. It has seen quite a few rounds and has a couple of rough spots, mostly closing the action safety. I also have an H006C from the estate of a very good friend, manufactured sometime before 2018 (I called during the pandemic for a date.). The two rifles are distinctly different aside from the caliber.

The .45 furniture is distinct mostly in the overall longer length of the forearm furniture and reliefs in the stock. It is also very nice walnut. It was beaten up, so I decided to refinish the wood. Stripping the factory finish is a challenge. I have restored a couple of dozen Gerstner tool chests and none were as hard to get down to bare wood as the Brooklyn Henry, but the payoff was great. Hidden figuring is very apparent and beautiful after a couple of dozen hand applied and hand burnished coats of Arrow Wood Finish. I'm still working on polishing the action for the smoothness my .357 has.

Fast forward to the .357. It needed a stock refresh as well since my buddy just piled it into his stuffed gun safe. The furniture is at coat 10 and starting to look like I want, but not as nice figuring as the earlier BB. In the recleaning process, I noted the lever is a little sloppy, but sourced shims on line and will install next week.

For refinishing walnut, I never completely close the grain. I like the look, feel and with a coat of Renaissance Wax, the climate in the desert southwest won't be a problem.

I should also say that I put a Marbles bullseye sight on the back of the .45 since the elevator was well abused. The .357 has the two #4-40 holes under the previously abused semi-buckhorn sight. That will be replaced with a Skinner Golden Boy sight as it matches the .357 from Bayonne, perfectly.

My last note and question is, has anyone tried to amass a serial number data base for Henry (other than the factory) to look at when exactly manufacturing shifted from Brooklyn to Bayonne to Rice Lake?

I also have an H011C, as an homage to my great great grandfather in the Michigan Cavalry under Custer and Sherman, which was certainly manufactured in Bayonne.
0 x
.357 H006M - Bayonne NJ USA
H006C - Brooklyn NY
H011C
.357 Ruger Vaquero
.45 Ruger Vaquero

Retired Los Alamos Nuclear Weaponeer
USAF Vietnam Combat Veteran
NRA Life Member - Benefactor
Placitas, NM

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: When was my H006C built?

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:57 pm

I don't have an answer to your serial number transition question. Anyway, Welcome to the forum from the Tualatin Valley, Oregon. Renaissance Wax is good stuff for wood and brass.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:13 am

I sent an email to Henry about 44 BBB as I purchased it used as you have.
I got a reply in a couple days saying it was Manufactured in '07, they even mentioned the month.
I think it was Dec., but I'm not positive, but it is wrote down with the SN.
I do that for most of my firearms.
My oldest to date is my 1892 Marlin in 32 colt that was made in 1899.

A pic of the said refinishing would be neat.
We love pics. ;)

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

mdomzalski
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mdomzalski » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:53 pm

Okay, we have a partially cloudy day as opposed to overcast and wet for the last two days. I think pics with sunshine are better. BTW When I got the H011C, I chose .45 since I have other .45s and .44-40 is a little harder to come by. One can see the difference in the forestocks on the H006s. As I said the wood is nicer on the Brooklyn. The sunshine picked up some dry spots around where I replaced sights. I fixed it, but we're cloudy again, so it'll be fine. The Skinner sight might look better turned around, but this adds 2" from rear to front. Please let me know if there are questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
.357 H006M - Bayonne NJ USA
H006C - Brooklyn NY
H011C
.357 Ruger Vaquero
.45 Ruger Vaquero

Retired Los Alamos Nuclear Weaponeer
USAF Vietnam Combat Veteran
NRA Life Member - Benefactor
Placitas, NM