Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My little winter project on the X model 45 Colt. UPDATED

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

My little winter project on the X model 45 Colt. UPDATED

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am

Project is to get it to smoothly feed my 325 gr. full wadcutter load,the MB Slammer, as easily as my older tube feed Henry BBS 45 Colt. All I did to that one was cut the case stop back a touch and it feeds them like hot butter. On this X model there was no problem with the longer bullet length but it is that the lifter drops down just enough that the edge of the flat shoulder catches on the chamber edge. If you lay the rifle over on it's side with slight downward angle it will feed right in.
I took it completely apart to grind a bit more radius on bottom edge of chamber so it would not catch but still not enough. So now to take it apart again and examine how the lift action works and do what is needed to keep the lifter up that little bit needed. Appears to be some slop in that action and a typical round nose or semi wadcutter bullet goes right over it. Also my Rossi Ranch Hand feeds those 325's slick as can be without any mods. That thing runs GREAT!
What I may do is measure the screw pin pivot hole locations of the lifter and the lever on a block of steel/aluminum with lever position stops and mount the lifter and lever and see where the slop is when lifter is in full up position.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: My little winter project on the X model 45 Colt. UPDATED

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:25 pm

All it took was a bit more shaping/polishing of the chamber feed ramp and works great now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x