Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Really messed up and Henry is making it Right

Horsman43
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Really messed up and Henry is making it Right

Post by Horsman43 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:13 pm

Long story short, New Years Eve I was shooting with some new shooters on my private range on my ranch.

Passing my brand new Henry 45-70 to guys who never have shot a lever gun and it was going back and fourth between us. Thank God it was me but one of us had a squib and I fired the next shot and boom!!
Hand guard is vaporized, barrel ruptured and the magazine tube bent.

It took a second to realize what happened and I was in shock. My hand felt like I just caught a fastball from Andy Pettit with no glove on.

Thankfully no one was hurt.
Lesson learned when running a turret press check every single round for powder at that stage. Number two I new signs of a squib I’ve been loading and shooting for 21 years and just missed it in all the fun. “
IMG_0674.jpeg
Be observant”

Finally Henry offered to repair my gun for a very fair price and I will be a customer as long as the good Lord wills it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Really messed up and Henry is making it Right

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:23 pm

:o :shock: Thank goodness nobody was seriously hurt.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:27 pm

Glad you are okay.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:49 pm

Yes, what the others said, glad no one was harmed.
And glad that Henry is willing to repair it for you.
In all my time loading and shooting I've only had one squib.
Luckily I could tell something didn't sound quite right and checked and found it before shooting another round.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Horsman43
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Horsman43 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:07 pm

Yea if had note been so loud (even with ears on and passing the gun back and forth I should have caught it. It’s my fult and this is my first squib. But I’ve had a bad factory round once and the bullet literally went 10 feet and hit the ground. I sill checked for obstruction and it was clear and everyone had a good laugh. That was years ago and I think surplus 7.62 or something like that I used to shoot a lot of mill surplus when it was cheap.

Henry was literally the most pleasant customer service experience I’ve ever had.

I told them I was running trapdoor loads and they told me that probably saved my receiver, but the gun can easily take Marljn 1895 loads.

I only shoot trapdoor loads because I have a trapdoor and it’s easer to keep everything safe and if a 405 grain bullet doing 1400 fps does not kill it I need to move up to a 416 rigby.
1 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:22 pm

It is good that neither you nor your guests were injured. That's the important part.

I had one experience with Henry customer service. I have a couple of Henry single shot rifles and I contacted Henry to get an extra pivot pin since, for some reason, I think that if I ever lose a part, it would be that one. I spoke to a very pleasant lady and she mailed one to me without charge. Good folks.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:32 pm

Wow, glad you are OK. That is scary. At first glance I thought you had an Original Henry, then realized the wood was “disappeared”. What powder? It isn’t available right now, due to production issues, but if you could locate some, Trail Boss would be much safer, it fills the case and you won’t be nearly as likely to get squibs. And a turret press isn’t really the best solution for this caliber. When I loaded .45/70, I used the Rock Chucker and took it slow and easy, and inspected all the charged rounds while they were sitting side by side in the loading tray. Just saying, a change of equipment and technique might make you worry a little less.

John Davies
Spokane WA
2 x

Horsman43
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Horsman43 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:37 pm

I agree I’m going back to my single stage for 45-70

I was using 4895 and unfortunately trail boss has been discontinued.

The nice thing about 4895 is double charges are not possible in this carriage and it goes a long way.

After reloading for 20 years I messed up. I’m just glad the gun blew up in my hands and not in someone else’s.

Honestly the customer service was so nice. Frankly I was expecting to be told quickly how
I messed up. So I just was honest and said it was me on this one. They did not criticize or jump on me and how it’s my fault. They just kindly gave me an unbelievably good price for rebuild.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:07 pm

What press are you using. Im guessing a Dillon 550
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:53 pm

I use a Lee 4-hole turret for all my loading, but I removed the auto advance rod and use it as a glorified single stage. ;)
I like the idea of having All the dies pre set, and makes for quick change over to what ever cal. I want to load next.
I have a single stage also but 90% of the time I have an universal decapping die in it.
When I cast I change it out for whichever sizing die I need.

RP
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012