Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I like my big boy x's so much that...

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

I like my big boy x's so much that...

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:41 am

I broke down and got the 357/38 its own can.

I've been running my Griffin Bushwacker 46v2 on both guns and my 350 Legend and 45 Bushmaster rifles. Griffin ran a 30% off sale on black Friday.

So, I picked up their Bushwacker 36 to use on my 357 lever gun and my 350-legened AR platform guns. I already have the Bushwacker 46 v2 and like it a lot. The key thing for me is it being user-serviceable as I shoot a significant amount of subsonic lead loads.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/bushwhacker-36-universal-suppressor/

The second can I picked up is their Optimus 9. I've been looking for a capable sub-gun can that is, again, user-serviceable. The Optimus 9 fits that bill nicely while being small enough for casual 9mm use. I've several other Pistol cans, (four) Ghost-M and an Odessa 9, that can be used on pistols depending on the need. The Optimus will likely be on my MPX 8" or my 9KT via the trilug mount.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/optimus-9-suppressor/

I've got all the paperwork done and certified, now it is down to the wait.
1 x

2ffat
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: I like my big boy x's so much that...

Post by 2ffat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:49 pm

Congrats! I've been looking for one for my X 357/38. I would be very interested in know how well your cans work.
0 x
I look just like my avatar.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:59 pm

2ffat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:49 pm
Congrats! I've been looking for one for my X 357/38. I would be very interested in know how well your cans work.
Which can are you interested in knowing more about. I've several that work on the big boy x's

I've:
Dead Air's ghost m,
form 1 45 cal can,
Griffin's Bushwacker V2
and on the way I have
Griffin's Bushwacker 36.

The two Bushwacker's are functionally the same. They use the same mounts and hubs. The 46 v2 will handle up to 460 WBM on a 24".

My Form 1 can will handle up to 450 nitro on a 24" barrel.

The Ghost-m's are limited to pistol calibers. That includes 357 mag on a rifle and 45 colt on a rifle.

The thing that these all have in common is that they are user-serviceable. I shoot a lot of lead, plated and coated, and there is quite a bit of powder and schmegma build-up. Having a can that you can clean the baffles saves a lot of headaches.

As far as sound suppression, subs from either 45 colt or 38spl, sound like staple guns.
0 x

2ffat
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by 2ffat » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:46 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:59 pm
2ffat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:49 pm
Which can are you interested in knowing more about. I've several that work on the big boy x's

I've:
Dead Air's ghost m,
form 1 45 cal can,
Griffin's Bushwacker V2
and on the way I have
Griffin's Bushwacker 36.

The two Bushwacker's are functionally the same. They use the same mounts and hubs. The 46 v2 will handle up to 460 WBM on a 24".

My Form 1 can will handle up to 450 nitro on a 24" barrel.

The Ghost-m's are limited to pistol calibers. That includes 357 mag on a rifle and 45 colt on a rifle.

The thing that these all have in common is that they are user-serviceable. I shoot a lot of lead, plated and coated, and there is quite a bit of powder and schmegma build-up. Having a can that you can clean the baffles saves a lot of headaches.

As far as sound suppression, subs from either 45 colt or 38spl, sound like staple guns.
Mostly, which one(s) are more accurate.
0 x
I look just like my avatar.

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:58 pm

2ffat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:46 pm
Mostly, which one(s) are more accurate.
Accuracy isn't so much a function of the can but a function of how good the mount and threads on the barrel are. If the threads are not concentric to the bore, or the mount is not perfectly square, you'll get some baffle wash (my term) of air-throwing bullets as they exit down the barrel.

So perfectly square threads on the barrel, (for most mounts) a squared shoulder for the mount to seat against. Then you have the mount's threads and the mount's taper. Those two square up against the can. The more square those are the less individual shift.

Your can isn't going to shoot to the same point of aim as your rifle (you've just added x number of ounces to the barrel) So, there will be some Point of Impact shift. A good can, with a good mount, will allow you to Clock that Point of impact shift to your point of aim at a given range.

Griffin is good, silencer co, YHM, CGS, Energetic, etc. For a base can pick up a user-serviceable 22lr. Then as a first can a multi caliber can like the 36 or 46 bushwacker. If you find yourself enjoying using those, then branch out into caliber and mount specific cans.
1 x