Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Receiver Wear

Forge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Receiver Wear

Post by Forge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:12 pm

I’ve got a well used 45 Colt Big Boy carbine that I bought. I cleaned it up and love it. I bought the Ranger Point Precision sear for it and it won’t work. The bolt keeps hanging up on the hammer in the bolt cutout when cycling while installed. I am 100% certain that it’s been installed correctly. I’ve swapped the oem sear back and forth with the RPP sear and keep getting the same results. On inspection, while cycling the action, the bolt rides up just high enough in the receiver that the bolt isn’t pushing the hammer down far enough to engage the new sear before the bolt cutout crosses the hammer. This causes the hammer to rise up and hang in the bolt cutout.
I’m attributing this to wear in the brass receiver causing the bolt to ride up once it contacts the hammer. If I apply downward pressure to the bolt while cycling, the RPP sear catches and engages properly. A lighter hammer spring doesn’t help.
The carbine works fine with the oem part, but I was hoping to improve the trigger with the new sear. I hate that I can’t use the new sear, but don’t know if the wear is enough for Henry to address seeing that the carbine still functions with oem parts. I don’t want to call them and tell them that I’m trying to install aftermarket parts.
I welcome any input?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Receiver Wear

Post by GFK » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm

How close is the original to the RPP? Maybe, it is the RPP?
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:47 pm

Does this problem happen when ejecting dummy rounds or empty brass? I know that seems an odd question, but I am wondering if having the casings in place would give you that bit of weight.
0 x

Forge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Forge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:54 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:47 pm
Does this problem happen when ejecting dummy rounds or empty brass? I know that seems an odd question, but I am wondering if having the casings in place would give you that bit of weight.
This happens while dry cycling. Haven’t tried with dummy rounds and don’t see how that would help. The bolt rides up at the rear exit of the receiver going over the hammer to depress it. It only rides up slightly in the receiver, but just enough to not depress the hammer to engage the new sear’s surface.
0 x

Forge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Forge » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm

GFK wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm
They engagement surfaces are cut slightly differently. That’s how you gain the lighter and crisper trigger.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:44 pm

Why not call RPP and tell them and see if they can offer a solution
Last edited by BigAl52 on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:45 am

Forge wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm
GFK wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm
They engagement surfaces are cut slightly differently. That’s how you gain the lighter and crisper trigger.
I remember calling RPP about something, I think that it was about the height of a Henry's front sight. I was told that Henry was not too forth coming with specs. on its parts. So, RPP had to make estimates about some measurements.
0 x

Forge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Forge » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:42 am

Many have used them and swear by them, so they obviously work. Perhaps by engaging the hammer at a slightly lowered point, that helps with the engagement geometry. Having wear that allows the bolt to ride up, does not allow the bolt to force the hammer down low enough to engage.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:30 am

Don't know. Have not tried any trigger work on my H009, just clean it and lube it, hoping that it will wear in. Yet, it is lighter than my Marlin 336W. So, I am happy with the trigger pull.
0 x