Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Trigger Job

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Trigger Job

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:34 pm

GFK wrote: One thing that does appeal to me over the Marlin is the lack of a crossbolt safety. It allows for greater concentration on the target once the hammer is cocked.
I like the CBS in my Marlins that have them. Feels safer using it when I'm forced to unload them by cycling them through the chamber. Unlike a Henry!
0 x
Pax at Justitia

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:03 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
GFK wrote: One thing that does appeal to me over the Marlin is the lack of a crossbolt safety. It allows for greater concentration on the target once the hammer is cocked.
I like the CBS in my Marlins that have them. Feels safer using it when I'm forced to unload them by cycling them through the chamber. Unlike a Henry!
I can agree. The tube load does eliminate the cycling to unload though. That is another thing that appeals to me. They both have their pluses and minuses. Marlins are faster to load. I say, Henrys are safer to unload. Plus, I do not like picking up ammo from the ground. I would hate to get dirt in the receiver. Yes, I do check the rounds. But, that reduces the load time which is a plus for a side loader.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 am

GFK wrote:Greetings,

I am new to this site. I recently put a H009 on lay-a-way. I should have it out close to year end.

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... if I was in the market for a 30-30, Henry's H009 would be my first choice .... I really like Henry's rotary locking bolt which seems to be patterned after the one Browning has used since it first introduced its BLR .... I'm really looking forward to following your range and use reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=310
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 pm

JEBar wrote:
GFK wrote:Greetings,

I am new to this site. I recently put a H009 on lay-a-way. I should have it out close to year end.

welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... if I was in the market for a 30-30, Henry's H009 would be my first choice .... I really like Henry's rotary locking bolt which seems to be patterned after the one Browning has used since it first introduced its BLR .... I'm really looking forward to following your range and use reports .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=310
Thanks JEBar. Will do.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

JEBar wrote: welcome indeed, delighted to have you join us .... if I was in the market for a 30-30, Henry's H009 would be my first choice .... I really like Henry's rotary locking bolt which seems to be patterned after the one Browning has used since it first introduced its BLR
Looking for info on the H009 rotary locking bolt and can't find it?
Found some info saying it's based of the Marlin 336 action.
I'm confused now.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:Looking for info on the H009 rotary locking bolt and can't find it?
Found some info saying it's based of the Marlin 336 action.
I'm confused now.
sorry, I got in a hurry and wasn't clear .... I have a first generation BLR 308 .... its rotary bolt looks very much like the one used by Henry in its Long Ranger (H014S-308) .... I don't know anything about what Marlin uses .... it may also very well be similar to the Browning .... the style of bolt used by Henry in their 30-30 reminds me more of one found in Winchester's Model 94 .... I wish Henry would build a Long Ranger in 30-30, if so I'd be highly motivated to buy one .... with a 30-30 Long Ranger, we could load long range spitzer bullets that can't be used in magazine tubes
1 x

Florida_Cracker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Florida_Cracker » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Sorry I'm late to this post/discussion, but I just added a Brownells Cowboy Action Spring Kit ( part #080-000-192 https://item.brownells.com/brands/brown ... ng-kit.htm ) in my BBS 357. I read on the Marlin forum that the Marlin 336 hammer spring and the Henry center fire springs were the same so I took a chance. The Brownells action spring looks identical to the original Henry sans a coil.
For background, I got the rifle about a year ago and out of the box the trigger was right at 5# (Timney spring gauge). After about 300-350 rounds it had reduced to 4.75 (Timney - average 5 pulls). Today, I disassembled, lightly polished the hammer/sear engagements with a cloth buffing wheel / SS polishing compound on a Dremel. I replaced the hammer spring and the Timney pull weight was on the "heavy" side of 3.25. Since it was under 4.75, I confirmed it with by NRA Bullseye steel trigger weights (max of 4.75) and it broke consistently between 3.25 and 3.50. For $9 and the level of effort, I am a happy Cracker.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Ditto what everyone else has said - my BBB has one of the best factory triggers I have ever had - possibly THE best. Nothing to do with it!
0 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Florida_Cracker wrote:Sorry I'm late to this post/discussion, but I just added a Brownells Cowboy Action Spring Kit ( part #080-000-192 https://item.brownells.com/brands/brown ... ng-kit.htm ) in my BBS 357. I read on the Marlin forum that the Marlin 336 hammer spring and the Henry center fire springs were the same so I took a chance. The Brownells action spring looks identical to the original Henry sans a coil.
For background, I got the rifle about a year ago and out of the box the trigger was right at 5# (Timney spring gauge). After about 300-350 rounds it had reduced to 4.75 (Timney - average 5 pulls). Today, I disassembled, lightly polished the hammer/sear engagements with a cloth buffing wheel / SS polishing compound on a Dremel. I replaced the hammer spring and the Timney pull weight was on the "heavy" side of 3.25. Since it was under 4.75, I confirmed it with by NRA Bullseye steel trigger weights (max of 4.75) and it broke consistently between 3.25 and 3.50. For $9 and the level of effort, I am a happy Cracker.
Nice work and great info. Thanks.
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:10 pm

in January we turned our CCH 45-70 and BBS 44 Mag over to a gunsmith for him to work on their trigger pulls .... based on his measurements, the OEM trigger pull on our 44 measured 6.5 lbs and our 45-70 measured 9.8 lbs .... fine adjustments to a Henry trigger pull require precision honing that is really as much art as science .... we set as a target trigger pull 3 lbs .... when I picked them up the 45-70's trigger pull measured 3.1 lbs and the 44 Mag measured 2.9 lbs .... having fired them both, his work has really paid off
3 x