Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Trigger Job

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Trigger Job

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:16 pm

JEBar wrote:
North Country Gal wrote:I've been looking at these guns in the stores in our area and have found a fair amount of variation in the trigger pull, one gun to the next. Some pretty decent, but some heavy enough to be a deal breaker for me. Just what can be done with these guns?

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that ..... with our 3 Henry rifles we have seen some initial stiffness in the lever action that smoothed out rather quickly when in use .... I haven't put a scale on them but can't detect much, if any, difference in the trigger pulls .... none have a competition, set trigger pull but all have a very respectable hunting rifle pull .... all that being said, I'm looking forward to reading reports from folks who have experience in this area

well .... I was clearly wrong .. :oops: .. after reading the post in this thread I got to thinking about it and decided I wanted to know for sure .... so, I ordered a Wheeler Engineering Trigger Pull Scale ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E ... UTF8&psc=1 <=== today I used it for the first time and it proved to be an eyeopening experience .... sample of results shown below :

trigger pull for our :

Henry CCH 45-70 .... 7.25 lbs

Henry BBS 44 Mag .... 3.5 lbs

Remington 700 300 WBY .... 4.5 lbs

Remington 700 30-06 ... 5.5 lbs

Browning BLR 308 .... 4.5 lbs

Winchester Model 94 30-30 .... 4.5 lbs

Remington 11-87 12 ga .... 4 lbs

that pretty well cements my decision to have the trigger on our 45-70 worked on in January
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:14 pm

There are many pages on DIY trigger adjustment for Marlin lever guns.
Are there any for Henry Rifles?
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:There are many pages on DIY trigger adjustment for Marlin lever guns.
Are there any for Henry Rifles?
there could easily be any number for Henry rifles but I don't know of any, nor have I found any on YouTube .... even if there was, under most circumstances, messing with a trigger is a job I would leave to a good gunsmith
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 pm

JEBar wrote: there could easily be any number for Henry rifles but I don't know of any, nor have I found any on YouTube .... even if there was, under most circumstances, messing with a trigger is a job I would leave to a good gunsmith
I'm sure there will in the not too distant future.
Henry gets so many things right. Mine are excellent rifles even if they don' have match triggers yet.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:44 am

I think the trigger on my BBS is the best one I've had on anything but a Stevens target rifle from the 1940s.
It has no detectable takeup and no creep. (really, zero) Then it breaks like glass and its very light. I don't have a scale, but it is light.
I guess different smiths at the factory do the fitment and assembly of them and some are more demanding than others maybe.?
I wrote the company a note thanking them for such a trigger job. You can ask Dennette Stellrecht. ;)
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Greetings,

I am new to this site. I recently put a H009 on lay-a-way. I should have it out close to year end. I was not in the market for one. I was looking for a used Marlin 336C. I noticed the Henry H009 in a back corner. It is a new 2015. That indicates how far in the corner it was. Most of the long guns are displayed as sooner as one walks into the shop. Anyway, I liked the finish and lifetime warranty. It cost considerably more though.

When I seen this post, I wondered about the difference between the 336W and H009 trigger pull. When I cycled the H009 with dummy rounds at the shop, it seemed fine to me. It even seemed a little smother than my 336W. But, I was in a shop. A day at the range should tell the difference. Nonetheless, I came across a link that compares Marlin, Henry, Winchester and Mossberg that seems interesting. So, I wanted to pass it along:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_30-3 ... tions.html

The gentleman who did the comparison, did not like the pull of the Henry. To me, it was not the same as my S&W 357 (which fires as soon as I touch the trigger at times). But, it did seem like a smooth and effortless pull.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, GFK. Glad you joined the conversation. You'll be hearing from others about that trigger, I'm sure.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm

having seen the trigger mechanism of a Henry centerfire rifle that had been removed from the rifle, I'm having trouble trying to visualize what can be done to lessen the trigger pull .. :?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Welcome to the forum, GFK. Glad you joined the conversation. You'll be hearing from others about that trigger, I'm sure.
Thanks CT_Shooter.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:05 pm

JEBar wrote:having seen the trigger mechanism of a Henry centerfire rifle that had been removed from the rifle, I'm having trouble trying to visualize what can be done to lessen the trigger pull .. :?
I am not one to ask. But, I am a firm believer in not fixing what is not broken. One thing that does appeal to me over the Marlin is the lack of a crossbolt safety. It allows for greater concentration on the target once the hammer is cocked. Targets less than 200 yards, I think the pull should not cause a miss. It would probably be more of a steady hand.
popular-hunting-ballistics-and-distances-compared.jpg
Roundtable.jpg
Just my 2 cent for what it is worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x