Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big Boy Trigger Job

Rugerfanboy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Big Boy Trigger Job

Post by Rugerfanboy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:25 am

JEBar wrote:
Rugerfanboy wrote:One must also consider when lower there scope, the scope might interfere with the cocking hammer. You might have to install a hammer extension from Henry.
agree .... we've put hammer extensions on all 3 of our Henry centerfires .... there are a couple of other issues one might face with lowering a scope .... one, it may come in contact with the OEM iron buckhorn sight .... two, the front sight may stick up into the field of view causing a fuzzy, dark blob at 6 o'clock .... neither issue is critical
JEBar....you bring up a good point. As for me....I'd remove the buckhorn sight and install a plug....(if the scope was gonna be permanently attached to the rifle). As for the front sight post being somewhat fuzzy in the field of view in the scope. If it bothered me...I'd just remove the front sight post and install a plug in it's place. The plugs that I'm referring to....are the ones that Skinner Sights has for sale on his website.

I have a AR-15 that has a red-dot mounted on it and I can see the front sight post. But I have to really focus on it to see it....so I just left it on the rifle. It's part of the gas block is another reason as to why I left it alone. I could have cut it off the gas block but I decided it didn't bother me enough to cut it off. But truth be told....I do sometimes like to take the red-dot off of the rifle cause I still like to use the iron sights from time to time.
0 x
[color=#FF0000]Squatch[/color] wrote:I ended up loading 47 of those 300gr torpedoes. I have room in my ammo box for mouse farts and cruise missiles. Each have a job. I like them all! :D

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:29 am

Rugerfanboy wrote:I do sometimes like to take the red-dot off of the rifle cause I still like to use the iron sights from time to time.

agree .... that is the reason I don't like to remove the iron sights .... if I'm in the woods and something goes wrong with the scope (it has happened), I can remove it and fall back on the OEM iron sights
1 x

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:25 am

Shimming a Henry sounds like an excellent idea - I think I'm going order three of these shim kits. Thanks for the info, Rugerfanboy.

This is what I like about this forum - always good, friendly info and advice on how to improve an already great rifle.
1 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:41 pm

I did the trigger assembly work on my Big Boy today.
All it took was the following:

Removed 1 turn from the main spring. (fired 150 times, no FTF.)

Cover flat file with 6,000 grit paper from my knife sharpener. File had smooth sides.

Polish (Jut shine) area on trigger and sear that engage each other with the 6,000 grit paper.

Came out just about perfect. absolutely no creep! Just a nice clean break. Can't find what I had made for measuring trigger pull. I can tell it is a good amount for me to walk around in the woods with.

EDIT: Thought I should come back and warn you, pay attention to the instructional video on the hammer screw. It had me going for a while, then it just fell into place.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Good job, Steve.
Especially that it "Came out just about perfect."
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Rugerfanboy wrote:http://triggershims.com/henry_rifle.html Lever, Hammer and Trigger Shim Kit

in checking their website, a kit isn't listed for any of our 3 Henry rifles .... I've emailed them to see what, if any, might be available
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:56 pm

I've been looking at these guns in the stores in our area and have found a fair amount of variation in the trigger pull, one gun to the next. Some pretty decent, but some heavy enough to be a deal breaker for me. Just what can be done with these guns?
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:13 pm

North Country Gal wrote:I've been looking at these guns in the stores in our area and have found a fair amount of variation in the trigger pull, one gun to the next. Some pretty decent, but some heavy enough to be a deal breaker for me. Just what can be done with these guns?

I'm somewhat surprised to hear that ..... with our 3 Henry rifles we have seen some initial stiffness in the lever action that smoothed out rather quickly when in use .... I haven't put a scale on them but can't detect much, if any, difference in the trigger pulls .... none have a competition, set trigger pull but all have a very respectable hunting rifle pull .... all that being said, I'm looking forward to reading reports from folks who have experience in this area
3 x

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:59 pm

For people like myself with the perfect neck length the drop at the heel of the Henry rifles is just about perfect for the open sights.
To add a optical sight on my Big Boy I had to add a cheek piece to get proper position to shoot.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:45 am

The .357/38 BB Steel I just picked up had a nice smooth trigger right out of the box. I suppose one could tinker with the main spring, remove a coil and stretch out to original length, and test fire. Polish some action parts, etc. making sure not to change any angles. Or IMHO leave it alone and shoot it; the trigger and action should smooth out with use and wear. Quite frankly most of a "trigger job" really equates to artificially accelerated wear if the action angles (sear/hammer) are set correctly. Contact Henry and see if they sell a polished trigger mechanism??? If you are going to mess with springs I'd buy replacement stock springs first to return it to "normal" in case you get a little too aggressive with your spring coil removal.
1 x