X series wood furniture?

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: X series wood furniture?

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:06 pm

T56Impala wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:35 pm
So I did it. I got the X in 45 LC. Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow. Couple of things I need to add, but it feels good on the shoulder. I’m questing the load gate will loosen up over time? Mag spring too?

I’m curious, I have a box of 335gr flat nose cast Buffalo bore. Without me trying it and risk jamming one in the gun, has anyone tried these? They pack a punch coming out of my Vaquero. I’d like to use them for hog hunting.
Just from a ballistics standpoint (don't have that rifle), you should get an additional approx 200fps mv ( + or - ) over your Vaquero and corresponding energy/range. You should chrono it to verify. Taking a large hog shouldn't be a problem. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 pm

+200 fps, interesting.

I have some hot rounds for my vaquero. More in line with the ballistics of a 454. I get just over 1600fps with the 7 1/2” barrel on the hand gun. I’m curious what it will be with a longer barrel? They are 285gr projectiles. The 335gr cast I spoke of are painful to shoot out of a handgun.

I’m just wondering if they will feed. I heard one story where someone jammed a live round prior to feeding that resulted in all kinds of problems.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 am

Can't help with the feed question. If you have access to a chrono, that's really the only way to establish the ballistics. I like the confidence it gives me (or lack thereof) with every new gun/ammo combination, and I've found that even well known and trusted factory ammo often varies significantly from round to round out of the same box. I don't reload so I'm stuck with OTS ammo.

Never shot Buffalo Bore, so can't comment on their products, But I have shot a lot of .41mag Underwood, and it's much superior to other brands I've tried out in terms of consistent performance. Fortunately, I've got enough to last me for 20 or so deer seasons. Like everyone else, they're out of stock on just about their entire line.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 am

I’ll check out Underwood.....assuming I can ever find any! I’m relegated to factory reloads ( GA Arms), my stockpile of Hornady and some special one off loads from a small manufacturer that is no more. I only have 30 rounds of the Buffalo bore, so I’ll save it for hunting. (I picked it up at an estate sale)

I’m going to the range here in a bit to try out the CX and plink a little. I spend a couple days a week at the range. Mostly with my handguns, but today is my long gun day. Guess I’ll spend tomorrow cleaning!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 am

GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 am
Can't help with the feed question. If you have access to a chrono, that's really the only way to establish the ballistics. I like the confidence it gives me (or lack thereof) with every new gun/ammo combination, and I've found that even well known and trusted factory ammo often varies significantly from round to round out of the same box. I don't reload so I'm stuck with OTS ammo.

Never shot Buffalo Bore, so can't comment on their products, But I have shot a lot of .41mag Underwood, and it's much superior to other brands I've tried out in terms of consistent performance. Fortunately, I've got enough to last me for 20 or so deer seasons. Like everyone else, they're out of stock on just about their entire line.
Gene, I've tried the Underwoods also very well made ammo and pretty consistent. But I had even better results with the 250 gr Cor Bon ammo.
I mostly load my own but I did try a variety of factory stuff out when I first got the 41.
Can't find the Underwoods target but here's the other at 50 yds.
20190215_071920.jpg

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:24 am

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 am
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 am

Gene, I've tried the Underwoods also very well made ammo and pretty consistent. But I had even better results with the 250 gr Cor Bon ammo.
I mostly load my own but I did try a variety of factory stuff out when I first got the 41.
Can't find the Underwoods target but here's the other at 50 yds.

20190215_071920.jpg

RP
Went to the Corbon site. They're out of stock of nearly everything also. Didn't even list the 250 gr. We're gonna end up with slingshots and rocks if things don't improve. In related news, the Oxford, MS Winchester plant just landed a $37million dollar contract with the Army for 5.56, 7.62, and .50 cal ammo. That's gonna suck up a lot of components. :roll:

https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/mississ ... mmunition/
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 pm

WOW!! YEP that's alot of components. :shock:

[attachment=0]20190921_113330.jpg[/attachment

Hey Gene, found one of the Underwoods target.

RP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Nice group. I assume you tweaked your sights a bit after. :lol:

I was looking at those the other day. I might sign up for the notification, for when they come back in stock.

Cartridge : .41 Remington Magnum
Bullet Brand : Underwood Ammo™
Bullet Weight (gr) : 265
Bullet Construction : Hi-Tek Coated Hard Cast
Bullet Model : Wide Long Nose Gas Check
Bullet Material : Lead
Brinell Hardness : 21
Case Type : Brass
Supressor Safe : Yes

BALLISTICS INFORMATION
Muzzle Energy (ft. lbs) : 1,073
Muzzle Velocity (fps) : 1,350
Sectional Density : 0.230
0 x

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:14 pm

Nice groupings guys! I’ll have to start photographing mine. Never thought about doing that.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:23 pm

T56Impala wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:14 pm
Nice groupings guys! I’ll have to start photographing mine. Never thought about doing that.
Pics and video's are always welcome. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Don't be shy about it, nobody is going to beat you up for anything. Accompanying details (weather, cold bore shot, ammo, etc.) should be included with a target pic. We learn from it all. :)
0 x