Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

X series wood furniture?

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

X series wood furniture?

Post by T56Impala » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 pm

Hello all. New guy here. I did a quick search with no results.

I’m going to buy a Big boy X in .45 LC tomorrow. I was wondering if wood furniture is available for this platform. I’ve looked on the Henry site, but I’m not clear on the nomenclature at this point.

Couple of other questions while I’m here:

Is the 45 LC actually available with a side gate, 16 1/2” barrel and all weather?

If so, is it available with nice wood furniture?

Anyone know where I might find, in stock, an all weather 45-70 in the Atlanta area?

Thanks for letting me join. I’m sure I’ll have tons of questions in the coming weeks!!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: X series wood furniture?

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:26 am

According to Henry sight the x models only come in the black syn stocks that you see. Im not aware of any carbine length all weather guns they all have the full length barrel. Thats also what I see on the Henry sight. The all weather guns only come with the black stock and forend. As far as the 45-70 send Henry an email and ask them if they can locate one for you. I have also had luck emailing Anthony and he willl drop ship one to your local FFL. It will take a little while but he did that for me and I had it in about 30 days. Of course at that time there wasnt this covid crap going on either. Welcome to the forum glad you joined us.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:36 am

I think you'll have to get a wood stock set custom made. $$$
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:45 pm

Thanks guys. I like the length and side gate of the X, I just don’t like that synthetic stock. I know it’s all the rage, but they feel cheap to me. I’m old I guess.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm

congrats getting a 45LC, we have large and still rapidly growing group of members who really enjoy their 45's .... do hope you will be able to find a 45-70 .... feel free to read and post often .... be sure to follow the link below to add your Henry rifle to our community's total and to return to do the same each time your collection grows

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p162856

as to being "old," take a look at the thread below and you will see that you have plenty of company :D

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ge#p162177
0 x

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm

So I’m looking on line. It appears that the H010GAW, all weather 45-70, is made in Rice Lake WI. The Henry site lists a stock sets for all Rice Lake production models. A wide variety at that! I’m assuming that I just pick a color and style?

The Big Boy X, 45LC, is listed as model H012CX. The “X” variant is not listed in the drop down menu for the stock sets, but the H012C, M, AW, CAW, MAW, CC, and CCC are. Is the “X” made in Rice Lake? Will any of these stocks fit? I’m guessing I’d have to find a front cove/ring/clamp for it as well. I do not see these listed on the Henry sight anywhere. Are they available anywhere?

I put off buying the X today. I went to the LGS and just couldn’t get past the plastic stock. I want to be sure I can make this the way I want it before I shell out the money. I really want that “trapper” length barrel. (17.5”) I don’t see that available on any of the other side gate models. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the questions. I’m new to Henry and really just want the guns I have in my head.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:49 am

T56Impala wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:33 pm
So I’m looking on line. It appears that the H010GAW, all weather 45-70, is made in Rice Lake WI. The Henry site lists a stock sets for all Rice Lake production models. A wide variety at that! I’m assuming that I just pick a color and style?

The Big Boy X, 45LC, is listed as model H012CX. The “X” variant is not listed in the drop down menu for the stock sets, but the H012C, M, AW, CAW, MAW, CC, and CCC are. Is the “X” made in Rice Lake? Will any of these stocks fit? I’m guessing I’d have to find a front cove/ring/clamp for it as well. I do not see these listed on the Henry sight anywhere. Are they available anywhere?

I put off buying the X today. I went to the LGS and just couldn’t get past the plastic stock. I want to be sure I can make this the way I want it before I shell out the money. I really want that “trapper” length barrel. (17.5”) I don’t see that available on any of the other side gate models. Am I missing something?

Sorry for the questions. I’m new to Henry and really just want the guns I have in my head.
Barrel length. There was a thread about this here about 6 months ago, if you want to take a look at it. Turns out that Henry advertised barrel length on older (non gate models) as 16.5" which did not include the chamber, just the rifled part of the barrel. When the X models came out they switched to the ATF measurement which measures from the muzzle to the closed bolt face, thus resulting in a longer measured distance. The barrels are actually the same length for the different models as measured from the closed bolt face.

See this thread. It's confusing, but gets sorted out around page 4. Fortyshooter contacted the boss and won some goodies from Henry for stumping Anthony.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... rel+length
Last edited by GunnyGene on Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:09 pm

Rifle length only in the all weather (for now) but Anthony listens to his customer base so send an email and request what you want..Not to be a traitor but Ruger/Marlin will hit the market later in the year also and most of us lever addicts are excited about that.. could be interesting
1 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

T56Impala
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by T56Impala » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:35 pm

So I did it. I got the X in 45 LC. Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow. Couple of things I need to add, but it feels good on the shoulder. I’m questing the load gate will loosen up over time? Mag spring too?

I’m curious, I have a box of 335gr flat nose cast Buffalo bore. Without me trying it and risk jamming one in the gun, has anyone tried these? They pack a punch coming out of my Vaquero. I’d like to use them for hog hunting.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:53 pm

I don't own a Henry 45, but I can tell you that my BBS 41 will cycle some heavy 270 gr cast no problem.
They are pretty long, but cycle with ease. Same with my BBB 44, I've loaded some heavy 325 gr cast that cycled with ease.
Both are a serious thumper on the receiving.
Good luck and keep us updated on your results.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012