Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Gee... It's great to be back!

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Gee... It's great to be back!

Post by North Star » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:58 am

As I was driving home from work this Friday night, there it was. A big yellow billboard that said GUN SHOW in big black letters. It said Saturday and Sunday Feb.20 and 21, 2021. I almost had an accident as I was rubbing my eyes to make sure I was really seeing this sign. There has not been a gun show anywhere in central PA for a long time. There would be 4 great gun shows at the Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg each year as well as the NRA Outdoor Show in the same complex. Due to the Covid scare, all those shows were cancelled leaving a long dry spell. Well I got to the show around 8:00 am and was in line with half East Coast population. After paying my $8.00, I walked into the hall. I felt like I was home again. Gee it felt great to be back with these great Americans who love the 2nd Amendment. Everyone was looking at all the offerings as I stood in line for the ammo. I was able to score at least 3 boxes of 45 Colt at a reasonable price. Looked over some of the Henry selections and they too were reasonably priced. As I reluctantly left the show, I got a phone call from my brother in Maryland who just purchased his own Henry Color Case hardened 45 LC with side gate. He also was at a gun store and purchased ammo that we can both use. After this great time at the show, I felt like there is hope for the future.
2 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Gee... It's great to be back!

Post by jstanfield103 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 am

It will all settle down but not in the near future. I feel that in about 4 years things will be getting a little looser and better as far as ammo and gun coming back into store shelves. Just a guess only of course.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

brianpa
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brianpa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:28 am

North Star, I was going to go to the gun show looking for ammo but someone that was already there told me it was over priced so I decided to stay home. Guess I should of went.
0 x
H015-44,H009G

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:37 am

There has been a couple of gun shows right across the border in Post Falls Idaho recently with another this up coming weekend. I haven’t gone to any as it’s a pretty small venue and is crowded in the best of times. Reports have been that it has been excessively crowded looking like shows did back in 2012. As soon as I get my Covid shots I’ll probably go to a show. From what I’m hearing the prices are pretty nuts for common items but there’s always a diamond in the rough to be found.

Happy to have shows open again. :D
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

Glad you were able to get a few things you needed. i quit going to gun shows years ago. Got tired of looking at prices that were higher than what I could buy them for online and having to pay to do so.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NHshtr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:52 pm

North Star,
Glad to hear there's life coming back to the gun shows, even if it's slow. Nothing happening up here yet. I like to go with some friends and look around. Over the years, I have only found a couple of "buys".
Wondering if you saw any "Gun Show Loop Holes" running around. I've never seen any, but some politicians have claimed they spotted some, and want to stomp them out. I guess it's kind of like sightings of Big Foot.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:11 pm

just a reminder that political commentary isn't permitted on this form ....

Jim
0 x

North Star
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by North Star » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:08 pm

In the past I have purchased maybe three pistols and two rifles at gun shows here in PA. After the required background check and the thinning of the wallet... then I take the new toys home. That makes the transaction more favorable. No extra red tape. My brother who lives in Maryland has to do the old FFL and waiting game when he purchases a gun in PA. For many years, he and about four other friends and family will come up to the gun shows in Harrisburg. Arriving at around 6:00 am at our favorite diner and consuming great quantities bacon eggs and gallons of coffee, we are in line to get into the Farm Show Complex. After the entrance fee and hand stamp, the gun world awaits. Starting methodically up and down the aisles, from one side to another of the building. We would mark the aisles we wished to come back to after we checked all the prices. At lunchtime we would stop by the local snack bar and enjoy the gourmet offerings and discuss what we saw and how we could afford the new toy. There were times when we would take up a collection amongst ourselves. We would then give some flimsy advise as to how to tell the wife about the new purchase. After several hours, and the backpacks filled with ammo, fliers and gun cleaning supplies, we would depart for the local fast food emporiums and wrap up the day.

Not only the camaraderie but the people who attend the shows are what makes it enjoyable. I have not met a rude or obnoxious person at any of the shows. The have been the most polite and helpful folks there are. And the common thread through out, is that they all are exercising their second amendment rights as American citizen. Great times and great memories. And in time, back again.
2 x

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NHshtr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:01 pm

North Star,
I agree with you. It's a good time to get together and have some gun related fun. Sounds like what we do. Probably what a lot of us do at the shows.

Jim,
Sorry about that. Thanks for the reminder.
0 x