Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Henry Long Ranger (5.56) range report: huge disappointment

My Toy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

New Henry Long Ranger (5.56) range report: huge disappointment

Post by My Toy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:06 am

Received new Henry Long Ranger in 5.56 about a week ago. Had a good weather day on Friday so went to the range with a couple of boxes of Federal AR-15, 5.56, Federal 223 and Lake City XM193. The good news first: The Henry exceeded my expectations for accuracy even with the crappy ammo that I took on the spur of the moment. The problem came with the way I had to operate the rifle. When inserting a full mag (5 rounds) I was unable to open the lever any more than half way when the bolt contacted the first round in the magazine. It took such effort effort at that point that I was afraid of stripping the gear system in the action. Only way I could chamber rounds from the magazine was to insert the mag with the action open and lever the first round in to the chamber. After the first round was fired the lever could be worker to chamber the 4 remaining rounds. The fun didn't stop there. the bolt would extract the spent cartridge but not eject it . The fired case would be hung up at about a 30 degree angle sticking out of the ejection port where I would manually remove it to chamber the next round.

I had disassembled the rifle upon receipt to thoroughly inspect, clean and lube it. I followed Henry's instructional video on disassembly and re-assembly to the letter to be sure I properly indexed the lever/bolt. When I returned from the range I did the process again thinking I possibly didn't get the indexing correct. I'm positive the rifle is correctly re-assembled. I loaded some dummy rounds with small based sized cases and 55 gr FMC bullets. The rifle failed exactly as it did for me at the range. I'm sure the rifle was test fired at the factory. Not sure how these problems were not noticed. I'd be interested in any comments forum members would have on this. I'm going to be contacting Henry on Monday.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New Henry Long Ranger (5.56) range report: huge disappointment

Post by PJM » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:56 am

Was thinking about one in .308. Will wait to see what the issue is with yours. Please keep us informed.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 am

Sorry to hear about issues with your new gun but many of us here have had issues with new and guns we have used for a while. Henry will fix it and hopefully the turn around time will be quick. You are doing the right thing by contacting Henry
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:24 am

Yes, this is very disappointing, it happened to me - my new BBX .44Mag would not feed rounds at all. Henry fixed it by replacing parts and grinding away sections of the new lever (???) This should not happen, period. But they will definitely fix it ... hopefully on the first try.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:54 am

disappointment understood .... I wasn't aware that the 223/5.56 magazines are designed to hold 5 rounds .... my experience has been with 308 which holds 4 .... not surprised at hearing about your rifle's accuracy .... they are building a strong reputation in that regard .... hopefully the issue is minor and they will get it back to you quickly
0 x

My Toy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by My Toy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks for the replies. I will keep you posted.
0 x

GtownGeorge
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by GtownGeorge » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm

Sounds like a magazine issue. Can the mag be taken apart?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel 357
Ruger Wrangler
Ruger PCC
Ruger Blackhawk 357
RIA 1911 9mm
RIA M200
CZ 455 combo (22/17hmr)
Marlin 60

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:57 pm

To bad they weren't designed to take AR mags, just use a 5 rounder in restricted areas
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

My Toy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by My Toy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:50 pm

GtownGeorge wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:05 pm
Sounds like a magazine issue. Can the mag be taken apart?
That is a reasonable thought although I bought one spare magazine and it arrived before I went to the range -- the second magazine caused the same behavior. The whole thing may be two separate problems -- both mags could be defective as well as a problem with the bolt (ejection).
0 x

My Toy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by My Toy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Oldbrass wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:57 pm
To bad they weren't designed to take AR mags, just use a 5 rounder in restricted areas
Amen to that.
0 x