Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fiddling with the hammer spring

Henri carabine
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Fiddling with the hammer spring

Post by Henri carabine » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:15 pm

After taking the .357 Henry big boy completely apart and polishing everything I could think of except for the seer and trigger surfaces, I found a slight difference. The action feels a little smoother but the trigger still feels a little heavy for me.
I read somewhere that the reduced Marlin springs could work on a Henry. I might have clicked the wrong button when I ordered but the spring I received was actually a little longer than factory. I decided to just cut it shorter to see. The resulting trigger pull is from 5 pounds to 3.5 pounds! When I pull on the hammer with my thumb it is noticeably lighter.
Yesterday I went to the range but I forget my round nose ammo all I had was truncated cones. I was a little worried about loading them in the feeding tube so I just tried about ten rounds fed in the chamber one by one. So far so good! They all fired, no light primer strikes. I look forward to going back with the proper ammo.
4 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Fiddling with the hammer spring

Post by Cofisher » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 pm

Glad to hear of your success. I’m not that skilled. Did a spring job on my Ruger. Maybe I’ll take the Henry apart someday. Thanks for the update.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Henri carabine
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Henri carabine » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:47 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 pm
Glad to hear of your success. I’m not that skilled. Did a spring job on my Ruger. Maybe I’ll take the Henry apart someday. Thanks for the update.
I'm not that skilled either but I am adventurous. Youtube is my friend. There are very few videos on the Henry but this one is well explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv6aBbb ... eCorpGears and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Es1_Xp ... eCorpGears
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:04 pm

sounds like you are on the road to resolving the trigger pull issue .... looking forward to your continued reports as you become better acquainted with it
0 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:31 am

Glad to hear that working on the hammer spring gave you a nice trigger pull. When I did trigger improvement on my BBS I had to do some work on the trigger return spring also as it had a 4.5 lb pull on it own.
0 x