Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Values of non-sidegate guns?

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Values of non-sidegate guns?

Post by Redthies » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:09 pm

I would love to have the sidegate option on my Bigboy, but it’s not really a necessity. What do you guys/gals see the used market doing with our “heritage” model non-sidegate Henrys? I see a .30-30 listed locally for $750 CDN ($600 USD) for one with a “couple of handling marks”. My .357 BBSC is a fantastic shooter, and I really doubt I’ll make the move to the sidegate version, but I’m curious what values are doing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Values of non-sidegate guns?

Post by Rifletom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:26 pm

Probably too soon to really tell. Like you, I'm in no hurry to change my current Henry's.
1 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:32 pm

The market will dictate as will politics. Where evil "assault rifles" are banned lever action carbine of any flavor are might popular. Honestly I'd sell my AR before my beloved 357 Henry
3 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Oldbrass wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:32 pm
The market will dictate as will politics. Where evil "assault rifles" are banned lever action carbine of any flavor are might popular. Honestly I'd sell my AR before my beloved 357 Henry
Yep. But since I have a discontinued Winchester 9422M born in 1973 that I bought new, maybe I can offer some insight. I paid a little under $200 back then. Inflation since then accounts for approx $1000 for this year and model on GunBroker, give or take a couple hundred based on condition, rarity, and many other factors, including a prospective buyers wallet. The actual value increase discounting inflation varies quite a bit, but for my gun (low mileage, excellent condition, but not NIB and no box or paperwork for it) it's only an actual real value increase of around $100-$200 above what I paid in 1973. I figure in another 50 years it might be worth selling it if it's in the same condition as it is now. But I won't be the owner (of anything) in 50 years. :)

I'd expect similar performance for any discontinued Henry models, including my .41 BBSC, unless the planet descends into total chaos, in which case all bets are off. ;) :lol:

I would suggest that if you are contemplating keeping your rifle(s) as an investment that you include a couple boxes of ammo, and preserve the gun, and any paperwork, box(es), and ammo appropriately, never shoot it again, and bequeath it to somebody who's going to be around for a LONG time. ;)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Going to be happy with the ones I have. All shoot and function well and didn't have any issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:23 pm

I find tube loading extremely quick and easy, a very nice feature. No spring tension to force rounds against, no finger pinching little door, quick unloading without jacking rounds into and out of the chamber. I prefer the gateless Henry to those quaint 19th century replicas.
How bout them apples?
4 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Remember the 1950s, early 1960s Ruger flat top Blackhawks? Ruger offered up a refit to put transfer bar safeties in them and most owners sent their guns back for the 'improvement'. Those old revolvers, left in their original form are worth a lot more money now than the ones that were 'upgraded'. Cowboy shooters only load 5 anyway. Load 1 skip 1 load 4. It's a cowboy thing.
It won't be long until all Henrys come with loading gates. 30 years after that our old tube loaded clunkers will be worth a lot of money. They will be called Henry "classics".
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:08 pm

Im like Forty. Gonna be happy with what I have. Wouldnt trade one for the other anyway. I have both. I have 2 CCH Henrys that have excellent CC on them and a sidegate dont even matter to me.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:20 pm

for the near term IF large numbers are traded in, I tend to believe that the resale value of our tube feeders will be somewhat reduced ... with our without a large number of trade-ins they will sell for whatever the market will bear .... our rifles are shooters, not wall hangers .... as such they have earned a few dings and dents which will lower their value .... they've each also undergone some upgrades which may increase their value due to customer preferences .... as I've said many times, not having a loading gate is certainly not a negative .... if I was in the market for another Henry today and I could get a really good price on a tube feeder, that's the way I'd go .... absent a really good price I'd probably wait for the market to catch up and start looking for a side loader ....
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:04 pm

I suspect the price will drop and then slowly gain as kids born after the side feeders are grown and want something old-school. Say 2050.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater