Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Magazine Tube Problem

MoDug
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Problem

Post by MoDug » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Just got mine early this year, the 44 Mag, has the same issue. Mine is very snug, but I found if you place the butt of the rifle on a solid surface it releases much easier. Maybe after some usage I my be able to “free hand” it open, but at this stage of newness it works best to place it a shooting bench. (I do place a hand towel between the brass butt plate and wood surface.).
Happy Shootin’ Fellas!
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:37 pm

I had the same problem. However, mine did not loosen up despite all the cures you have read about. I eventually had to send the rifle back. So I would not waste to much time trying to fix it. Call Henry CS. They might want to send you a new tube but that did not solve the problem either. Rather disheartening that after three years they still have the same problem.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

gpraceman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by gpraceman » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:16 pm
It should loosen up after some use. I have one like yours and it is still a bit snug but that is better than loose. Maybe a tiny bit of lube will help.
That rifle is a very good shooter and hope you enjoy yours!
And a big welcome to the forum from Va. !!
That's a sweet pair of case hardened firearms that you have there! Makes me want to get a revolver like that. But my wife would kill me if I got yet another firearm in such a short time. lol I'll have to settle for my Heritage Rough Rider for now. It's a nice shooting revolver, with cylinders for 22S/22LR and 22Mag.

I picked up my BB tonight. Can't wait to be able to shoot it. I was only able to get some 38 special rounds (Federal 158 gr) for it. They had those stashed in the back. I do reload and plan to get the dies and components so I can make my own.

2 x
Big Boy Case Hardened Rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special
1977 Marlin 60 "Pesky Squirrel"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:31 am

very sharp CCH Henry .... looking forward to your continued reports

be sure to follow this link to where you can add it to our community's total ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 73#p150573
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:50 am

Welcome from Ca! Nice choice of a Henry you have. Your Rough Rider goes well with the BB, not to worry. Believe us, you'll be looking at a single action revolver before you know it. This place is stock full of enablers, so watch it! 8-)
Geez, forgot to address the sticky tube question. If it doesn't loosen up a bit after some use, call Henry CS, let them know and they'll send you a new for free. They did that for me.
0 x

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:23 pm

I will add something,
I have never tried this but it may work. What if you removed the O-Ring on the magazine tube. It should still hold due to the pressure of the rounds in the magazine tube. If empty you would have to be a little more careful with it>
Just a question and a thought.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:15 pm

jstanfield103 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:23 pm
I will add something,
I have never tried this but it may work. What if you removed the O-Ring on the magazine tube. It should still hold due to the pressure of the rounds in the magazine tube. If empty you would have to be a little more careful with it>
Just a question and a thought.
The O ring provides needed tension so the inner mag tube doesn't rotate from use and fall out. Guess they had no room for a light coil spring or rubber O ring cheaper than a spring.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Take a close look at the slot the pin rides in. There is a raised area that the pin starts on that compresses the O ring and then the pin drops into the locking slot. This raised area prevents the pin and tube from rotating on it's own and letting tube fall out.
You could take a small fill file and lightly remove a very small amount of material off the hump or raised area. Just enough to ease the amount of tension needed to rotate. Have to have some to keep tension.
Remember as the years and use go by the O ring will age and loose compression.
0 x

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 am

I had the same issue with my .357/.38 BB. It was obvious that there was a problem with rhe outer magazine tube but I didn’t want to ship my rifle back to HRA. As it turned out, I had to ssend it back for another unrelated problem. Henry replaced the outer mag tube and kept the original inner mag tube. The difference was like night and day. Loading and unloading was a breeze. If you can be without your rifle a few days, it’s more than worth it to ship it back to HRA. Especially if you suspect it’s the outer mag tube.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:07 pm

shootinthecinders wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 am
If you can be without your rifle a few days, it’s more than worth it to ship it back to HRA.
a lesson that several of us have learned and most certainly agree with 8-)
1 x