Magazine Tube Problem

MarkB
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Magazine Tube Problem

Post by MarkB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 pm

gpraceman wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:22 pm
I tried to contact Henry through their website. No response at all in over a week. No phone number is posted. Probably were getting flooded with calls.

Had the opportunity to shoot my new BB 357 today. It shot well. The magazine tube is still pretty stiff to twist. What surprised me is that I had difficulty getting the tube inserted after loading the tube magazine. It would catch on the bullets as I pushed it in. Maybe that is something that will break in. Not used to that issue with my tube fed Marlin 60, but that rifle was made back in 1977, so it is well broken in. :lol:
I found that the Hornady Levermatic rounds do this because of the plastic (rubber?) tips. The tips do not allow the rounds to movearound sideways to allow the inner tube to move past them. I have no problem with lead nose soft/hollow points. These rounds will move around side to side and this lets the inner tube to move past them and load properly.
0 x
NRA Benefactor, USCG '63-'67, GM-3, Fifth District

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:16 pm

MarkB wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 pm
I found that the Hornady Levermatic rounds do this because of the plastic (rubber?) tips. The tips do not allow the rounds to movearound sideways to allow the inner tube to move past them. I have no problem with lead nose soft/hollow points. These rounds will move around side to side and this lets the inner tube to move past them and load properly.
interesting observation, one I'd not considered ... thanks for posting it
0 x

gpraceman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by gpraceman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:30 pm

MarkB wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 pm
These were lead round nose 38 special rounds.

I'll try the tube spinning trick next time to see if that helps.
0 x
Big Boy Case Hardened Rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special
1977 Marlin 60 "Pesky Squirrel"

gpraceman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by gpraceman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:13 pm

The replacement magazine tube finally arrived. So much easier to lock/unlock. Thumbs up to Henry on their customer service.
2 x
Big Boy Case Hardened Rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special
1977 Marlin 60 "Pesky Squirrel"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 pm

great to hear ..... :D
0 x