Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally joined the family

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Finally joined the family

Post by Preacher » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Today (after having my ability to pick it up put in "pending status" I was able to pick up my Henry Big Boy Carbine in .357. From the looks of it, this gun has not been shot a lot and has sat unused. It was clean, but the receiver and barrel ring were patina'd. I got some Never-Dull and went to work. There are still slight scratches on the receiver (it is, after all, a used gun). The wood is in excellent condition. The inner magazine tube was difficult to remove, and when I got it out it was pretty tarnished. I polished it up now all is good. The action is very smooth. This gun has been on my wish list for a long time. I'm excited to own one and got a good deal on it. Cleaning it up was a labor of love for me. Can't wait to shoot this beast.
4 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Finally joined the family

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Congrats and welcome.
0 x

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

Decided to take a few pics.

.357/.38 Carbine

with it's little brother: Evil Roy .22 Carbine
2 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:14 pm

Congrats on your slightly-scratched, patina-aged, pre-owned .357 Carbine. Cool 8-) that the wood is excellent! The furniture really looks very nice in your pic. Glad you rescued this Big Boy, brought him back to original condition, and that BB is safely home in your family. The .357 Magnum is an excellent caliber choice, and I'm looking forward to hear it's a great shooter! Enjoy-enjoy. :)

Only if you are curious. You can contact Henry, and they will give you the birth date of your BB from its serial number.
0 x

~Пока~

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Cool idea. I'll do that tomorrow
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:20 am

You will love how the carbine handles. I have one in a 45 colt. If I had to do it over I would have all carbines in the other calibers I also have in Henrys.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Congratulations! It looks brand new to me. You did an excellent job at cleaning it up.
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:24 pm

PT7 wrote:Congrats on your slightly-scratched, patina-aged, pre-owned .357 Carbine. Cool 8-) that the wood is excellent!
Yes, and in addition, Preacher will receive 5 bonus points for using the word "patina'd".
farrell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Thu May 24, 2018 2:35 pm

lol. I can't wait to get out and shoot it. I used Never-Dull to get the shine back. The barrel ring is still a little dark, so I'll work on it some more.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri May 25, 2018 2:56 pm

I like shiny brass on a lever action rifle. Good job making it shine again.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234