Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

WGRS sight

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

WGRS sight

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm

While I wait for my big boy to get here, I’ve been looking for accessories and the first thing I wan to do is change the rear sights to peep sights. I’ve looked at skinner but before I settle on that I was wondering if the Williams wgrs for the 336 will fit on the big boy steel.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: WGRS sight

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:55 pm

It will fit but it will hang over the hammer a bit.
I've used one on my Brass Big boy.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:36 am

Thanks, I’ve seen pics of the FP hanging over the hammer, is that the case with the wgrs also?
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:27 am

Yes, that same half inch or so.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:30 pm

I’ve seen pics of the FP hanging over the hammer,
Got any to post or have a link? I too am planning on a WGRS for my Henry but cannot seem to find a pic of one on a Henry anywhere.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:37 pm

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 531#p41531
That's a brass Big Boy with a Williams FP sight.

While the the Big Boy reciever sight mount holes are set apart the same distance as those on Marlin 336 type reciever they are set about 1/2 inch further back than on a Marlin. This means all Williams 336 sights hang over the hammer.
I've tried to live with it but I've ended up moving them forward and using only one screw to mount the sight.
If I knew a good gunsmith I'd get a new forward hole drilled.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 pm

One more question. Is the distance from the rearmost mounting bolt hole to the end of the receiver the same on the BB steel as it is on the brass model? I’ve seen some pictures and it seems the hole on the brass model is closer to the end of the receiver than on the steel, but I don’t know if it’s just the angle of the pictures or if there really is a difference in distance.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Hidden Mortimer wrote:One more question. Is the distance from the rearmost mounting bolt hole to the end of the receiver the same on the BB steel as it is on the brass model? I’ve seen some pictures and it seems the hole on the brass model is closer to the end of the receiver than on the steel, but I don’t know if it’s just the angle of the pictures or if there really is a difference in distance.
It is my understanding that the Williams Receiver Sights hang over the Hammer in both the Steel and Brass Big Boys. I don't have a Steel Model to measure.
From what I surmise from the different threads I have read in regards to Williams receiver sights the main difference between the brass and steel models is the width of the receiver the Brass being wider.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Hidden Mortimer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hidden Mortimer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks, that is my understanding also. I’ll just have to see when my rifle gets here. If I don’t like the look I can always send the sights back to amazon.
0 x

Beech Creek Gary
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Beech Creek Gary » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 531#p41531
That's a brass Big Boy with a Williams FP sight.

While the the Big Boy reciever sight mount holes are set apart the same distance as those on Marlin 336 type reciever they are set about 1/2 inch further back than on a Marlin. This means all Williams 336 sights hang over the hammer.
I've tried to live with it but I've ended up moving them forward and using only one screw to mount the sight.
If I knew a good gunsmith I'd get a new forward hole drilled.
I had a smith drill &tap a third hole and mount the fp336 a half inch forward. You can see a picture of it in the thread "williams FP sight".
2 x
Attack Squadron 65 - US Navy - 1964-1968