Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Big Boy and the Bowling Ball

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

The Big Boy and the Bowling Ball

Post by ditchparrot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm

I've shot quite a few bowling pins in my day, but never a bowling ball prior to today. It was fun, interesting and educational.

I've had an old 10-pounder out in the garage for quite a while that my daughter used long ago. I would've preferred to pass it on to some younger kid, but you can't give these things away anymore. The youth programs and the bowling centers have far more of them than they want or need. Therefore, the time had come to satisfy some curiosity.

I took it about 50 yards into the desert and just dropped it on the ground in an open area. Then I put a full tube of .357 rounds into it with the Big Boy rifle.

I thought it might fracture into multiple pieces after a few shots, but that was an erroneous expectation. The plastic cover stock breaks off easily, but the core is seriously sturdy. The stuff looks like foam, but it's as hard and tough as just about any concrete I've ever seen.

Another thing that surprised me a little was the ball never moved backward when it absorbed a bullet. If anything, it would spin like a globe on a stand.

I have several balls with reactive resin cover stocks, but I'm not ready to part with any of them yet (I'm in two leagues). When one of them treats me poorly enough for long enough, it'll get the same treatment and we'll see what happens.

Bowling_Ball_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The Big Boy and the Bowling Ball

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 am

Sweet. I've often wondered what a 45-70 or a .338 or Barrett .50 would do to one of those. Anyone? Anyone? 😏
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:52 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 am
Sweet. I've often wondered what a 45-70 or a .338 or Barrett .50 would do to one of those. Anyone? Anyone? 😏
None of those around here, but there is a couple 444's and I do cast a big ole 325+ gr cast for it.
Wonder what it might do?

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am

“ When one of them treats me poorly enough for long enough, it'll get the same treatment and we'll see what happens.”

Revenge is so sweet! :lol:
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:15 pm

I blasted one few years back with my 45-70 rifle and had chunks flying! This was the Covid year and my son and his family all had come down with it.
So I took the wife's old bowling ball and dressed it out with golf tees to look like that darn covid thing and blasted it away with my 1895 Marlin.
Made me feel much better! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x