Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Aftermarket Brake Control

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Aftermarket Brake Control

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:35 pm

talk about a dying industry, after market brake controls would have to be among them .... well, we need one and I'm so far removed from the market that I have no clue about the choices available today .... when we got back from Texas I noticed that the cruise control in our 2011 Silverado wasn't working .... eventually, I noticed that the LED screen on our Hensley TruControl brake controller was blank but the little red light that comes on when you step on the brake pedal was on all the time .... if the red light is correct and power was being sent through the controller, the cruise control shouldn't work ... I decided to cut the wire and every since I did, the cruise has worked just fine .... so, the TruControl has apparently croaked ... these days I seldom use our Chevy to tow a trailer with brakes but once-in-a-while we do .... as best I can tell, Hensley no longer sells the TruControl which is fine because I have no interest in purchasing a high dollar controller .... recommendations would be appreciated
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Aftermarket Brake Control

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Ive bought 2 of the Tekonsha Prodigys and have not had any issues with them. They probably have upgraded models now but Im not sure which one would be the newer model.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun May 03, 2020 9:25 am

+1 on the Prodigy. Current truck has a factory installed controller but I had a Prodigy in my last truck. Worked great for years.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun May 03, 2020 10:00 am

recommendations appreciated .... decided to go with the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller .... a bit more expensive than I wanted but its ratings/reviews are excellent .... 5 stars with 3,836 reviews .. 8-) .. ordered it from etrailer ===> https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer_Brake_ ... 90195.html .... $5 cheaper than from Amazon
0 x