Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kamikaze squirrel

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Kamikaze squirrel

Post by roddy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 am

We seem to have a family of Red (Pine) Squirrels that has moved in nearby. 3 or 4 of them have been hanging around lately, but there is one that is definitely in charge, and he has claimed the maple tree that has the feeders in it. The sap must be running now, as 'Earl' has been alternating between feeding on the ground under the feeder, and scooting up the tree to lick sap where the woodpeckers have been at it.

There are two types of squirrel here...the Eastern Grey, and the little Pineys. The less common Reds are about 1/3-1/2 the size of the Greys, and maybe 1/4 the weight. They do not get along. This morning, I was standing at the back window, sipping on a coffee, and watching 'Earl' do his thing. At one point, he was up near the top of the tree after some sap, when a big Grey sheepishly approached the tree, and started to climb towards the feeder. Neither squirrel had spotted the other yet, and the Grey was feeling pretty confident...enough so, that it started chewing on the bird feeder.

For those who don't know, Red squirrels are pretty aggressive (I've seen them chase off the much larger Greys before). Add to that, this little Red is all jacked up on sugar. I thought to myself "this is gonna be good.". I no sooner had that thought, when 'Earl' spotted the Grey sharpening his teeth on the feeder 10 feet below. I was not expecting what came next...that little squirrel launched himself off the side of the trunk, dropped about 10 feet, landed square on the back of the Grey squirrel, and rode it the rest of the way to the ground. That Grey squirrel left the yard like his tail was on fire. I laughed so hard, I had tears running out of my eyes. Thanks for the laffs, Earl.
11 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Kamikaze squirrel

Post by markiver54 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:27 am

Great story roddy! I need a couple of those little Red ones around here for Grey control. ( that is, if the Reds don't chew on the feeders ).
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:45 am

Mother nature puts on some good shows occasionally. :) A few years ago, I had some feed out for the deer about 100yds from the house. A couple of doe's were snacking on one pile and local 'coon came out of the woods and figured he'd get some to. One of the does spotted him and kicked him stupid, and he staggered back into the woods.

Another show I recall was watching a vixen kicking back in the yard while her 3 kits ran around playing for about a half hour.

Always something to see out in nature. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:30 pm

We have several Douglas Pine Squirrels. One is particular we call "Spot". The tip of it's tail is snow white.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:16 pm

A couple weeks ago I was outside and the Silver Grays I have all over (and normally run when approached) one ran down a tree and up to me and stopped about five feet away and started screeching! Then it took a few steps closer and I thought it was going to climb up on me! I stepped toward it and it ran off but stopped again and turned around and looked at me.

I have never seen this type of behavior from one of these squirrels.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:33 pm

That's funny, thanks for the laugh this afternoon. Needed a good one.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Look online for the squirrel motorcycle story. Big laughs
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Too funny!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:12 pm

Watch out for the squirrels in Pascagoula. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

mrguvna
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by mrguvna » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:44 pm

yup nature provides entertainment all the time, squirrels are at the top of the list for all around entertainment. Black bears are second on the list, seen them do some pretty silly stuff in the wild too. Watched a small young spike buck last year stand on his hind legs to reach the big boy branches of a scrape and fell over backwards,
0 x