Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

dry rot in window sills

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: dry rot in window sills

Post by Ernie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:09 am

Unrelated but saw this on the neighbors kid's car. Not going to ask him for help.
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0604.jpeg (179.45 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
4 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:54 pm

IMG_0609.jpeg
IMG_0609.jpeg (169.83 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
Put the final skim coat of epoxy putty on and called it a day. Will give it a last sand and cut out the sill replacement to glue and screw into place next time it is not raining. Scrape, sand and prime the remainder of the window before moving on to the next one. Pretty impressed with the epoxy but think I will try another brand to save some cost. The JB wood hardener worked well and I may get the Jamestown epoxy wood conditioner to further seal the rest of the wood before priming. Used Jamestown products on both boats and like their products.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 am

Don't forget to cut a drip groove on the underside of the sill about one inch in from the bottom edge.
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Travlin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:36 am
Don't forget to cut a drip groove on the underside of the sill about one inch in from the bottom edge.
Thanks, I will.
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Finished repairing the damaged windows today, ordered fibre cement siding from Home Depot to replace cracked and broken shingles, and have to round up all the stuff for the paint sprayer. Took me 4 days to roll and brush last time so I am hoping to cut that in half with the sprayer this time. Hard to say, it takes me a lot longer to do anything these days.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:03 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:53 pm
Hard to say, it takes me a lot longer to do anything these days.
You are not alone my friend!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Over the last five years, I've replaced the southern facing window and door frames on my house with a composite material after fighting the weather related destruction of the wood for the last thirty years. The north, south, and west sides have never been an issue. It seems that the direct sunlight focused on the rain/snow weathered boards likely had caused that condition. Thankfully, all has been well ever since.

Unfortunately, unlike you, I needed to pay someone else to make those repairs for me. No way I could have done it myself. Congratulations... and good work.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Ya me to. Theres just some things its better for me to hire done. I dont like doing it and learning as I go. Theres something called patience that seems to go away when I tackle jobs like that.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm

I enjoy figuring things out but I have to think it out before I tackle it, read about it and learn as much as I can. It was with some trepidation that I grabbed the recipicating saw and cut out the old sills. But once out it was just a matter of fashioning new ones and glue, screw and foam in place. Of course the first one was wrong but learned from that one and the rest when pretty well. I get satisfaction from accomplishing these projects. Patience I have, it is time that is hard to come by. If I was retired I could get my chores caught up but if I was retired I could not afford to do my projects so more patience.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:02 pm
I enjoy figuring things out but I have to think it out before I tackle it, read about it and learn as much as I can. It was with some trepidation that I grabbed the recipicating saw and cut out the old sills. But once out it was just a matter of fashioning new ones and glue, screw and foam in place. Of course the first one was wrong but learned from that one and the rest when pretty well. I get satisfaction from accomplishing these projects. Patience I have, it is time that is hard to come by. If I was retired I could get my chores caught up but if I was retired I could not afford to do my projects so more patience.
Ernie,
I admire your ambition and willingness to dive in to your projects. I know time can certainly be a big issue.
I, however am now retired, but still tailor the budget for most things anymore so that I can just call the 'Guy' to do it.
It is rewarding to do some things myself, but that list of " can do's" has gotten smaller.
Kudos and carry on, but don't take on too much unless you have to. ;)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry