Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Letting Go Of Things

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Letting Go Of Things

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:48 am

I’ve been sorting through my hobby room which for the last two years was the junk room. Everything I didn’t need but couldn’t throw or give away was in that room.

The floor is mostly clear now but shelves and desks are still full. It is just a lot of small items that need a final keep or throw decision. The rest of the house has lots of empty space especially in closets so I actually have space to put a lot of it.

It seems I’m on the home stretch of letting go of things.
7 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: Letting Go Of Things

Post by Les » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:51 am

I also have various collections of "good stuff" that "will come in handy someday".

I have things in my garden shed that I can't even recognise, but I just know that they're useful. I often think about having a clearout, but 1-3-5 years down the line, I know I'll be looking for it, so while it doesn't eat anything, or cost me anything, it stays where it is! ;)
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:54 am

I'm glad to hear you can do it Gene. Sometimes there is no choice. I did two whole house clean outs in the last three years. It's amazing what I boiled it all down to.

Good luck in your organizing.
4 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:32 am

I'm moving this month (always fun), and it has been an experience and a half! That's mainly because of all the stuff that I haven't seen or maybe even touched in years. With my daughter's help, much of the good and/or useable things have gone to a new store that operates similarly to any thrift-type store, e.g. Salvation Army and others. And then I cannot count the trips I've made to my dumpster. I know of those things that couldn't even be given away, some things don't work right now, and so on.

Next step. At the new place, everything I've kept has been boxed and is awaiting me. When I have more leisurely time to open up all these "goodies" again, the second round of "letting go" will happen!

I have liked this effort to let go. The "burden" is getting lighter.

Thanks, Gene. Glad to hear you are on your "home stretch." Good job.
PT7

P.S. It was fun to read Les' comment saying there is garden stuff "he doesn't even recognize." Such surprises have happened to me, too, with this current move. That really slows you down and makes you think about all that stuff we carry with us! ;)
Sir Henry wrote:I’ve been sorting through my hobby room which for the last two years was the junk room. Everything I didn’t need but couldn’t throw or give away was in that room.

The floor is mostly clear now but shelves and desks are still full. It is just a lot of small items that need a final keep or throw decision. The rest of the house has lots of empty space especially in closets so I actually have space to put a lot of it.

It seems I’m on the home stretch of letting go of things.
Les wrote:I also have various collections of "good stuff" that "will come in handy someday".

I have things in my garden shed that I can't even recognise, but I just know that they're useful. I often think about having a clearout, but 1-3-5 years down the line, I know I'll be looking for it, so while it doesn't eat anything, or cost me anything, it stays where it is!
2 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks all for the replies. Seems I am not the only one in the boat. I have lived here for 30 years this last September and only three houses in the last 46 years.

One thing I am doing now is sorting stuff and I might come across something I do not need but don’t want to throw away. I’m putting things like this together and can throw entire drawers of stuff away without further sorting. I have one dresser dedicated to stuff like this.
3 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:11 pm

My sister died in 2000, and I've heard my BIL still has her clothes in the walkin closet.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:13 pm

We have sooooooo much stuff....yikes, the thought of sorting through it gives me a headache.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I’m putting things like this together and can throw entire drawers of stuff away without further sorting. I have one dresser dedicated to stuff like this.
May I suggest SirH Amvets or Goodwill rather than a toss ?
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Henry88 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I’m putting things like this together and can throw entire drawers of stuff away without further sorting. I have one dresser dedicated to stuff like this.
May I suggest SirH Amvets or Goodwill rather than a toss ?
Anything of value was given away but a few items was in such poor condition the Goodwill wouldn’t even want it.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 pm

one of the lessons you've had to learn through traveling with your camper is how to figure out what is important enough to take with you .... its a lesson we have had to use on the road; unfortunately, I'm not as good in following it when we are home .... a quick look at our garage offers ample proof of it ....reaching a point where you are able to begin moving on is a significant milestone .... my compliments and respect for you reaching this point
1 x