Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Spring has sprung...

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Spring has sprung...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 03, 2018 9:54 am

Spring has sprung and is busting out all over.
When we bought this place twenty plus years ago, there were no porches, and the house sat bare, in the middle of a bare clay bulldozed two acre cleared lot with the trunks and debris from clearing the lot pushed up around the edges like a frontier barrier. ;) Two decades of work show what is possible. It has looked better... as we are gimpy these days.... but we still like the color.

When we went to the nursery and asked about climbing roses for the split rail fence we were going to put down the drive, the Rose Club was there and suggested Knock Out roses instead. We now have a hedge line of Knock Out Roses. They will bloom soon and bloom until late October or November.
rose line.jpg
rose line.jpg (281.73 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
I can't remember what the big bush in the center is... but Tina added it for contrast... it's a huge attraction for the butterflies and the hummingbirds. 8-)

Over the years we have added and subtracted from the landscaping in front of the house, but there are some anchor pieces, including the Japanese Maples, the Coral Bark Maple and the Smoke Tree. Gone from the deck just this last week is the 8 person spa. I'll miss it, but I got eleven years of use out of it and it was getting more and more difficult to get in and out of it these days.
front view.jpg
front view.jpg (284.31 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
At the edge of the side porch is a bed that used to be packed with everything you could imagine. These days Miss Tina has cut way back, but hiding beside the Azalea is a Gnome I made forty years ago in a ceramics class run by a girlfriend's mom. He has traveled around the world with me... and still survives.
gnome.jpg
gnome.jpg (296.9 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
Last year, we added fruit trees to the back yard. This used the be the RANGE when I was shooting PPC and needed 50 yards, but since I am limiting myself to 25 and 15 these days, Miss Tina planted landscaping. :) These aren't ornamental, they will begin to produce in the next year or so.
fruit trees.jpg
fruit trees.jpg (274.69 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
Wanting to shade the back of the house, we added three River Birches, and a pair of Dogwoods. One of the dogwoods died the second year, but the Birches are flourishing and the last two years have really done the job. The river birches are interesting visually, as the bark peels. Between the shade trees and the Pella Windows, we have cut the AC bills in half. :P
river birches and dogwood.jpg
river birches and dogwood.jpg (269.07 KiB) Viewed 4661 times
We need to get our mulch order in and get busy on the flower beds. The ranger will come in handy for that. 8-)
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Spring has sprung...

Post by PT7 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

I'd title all your photos "The Spring Vistas of Marine and Miss Tina."

Great photo shoot....your fruitful property sure does show the good effort and planning you've done together over the years. Very much enjoyed the views. Thanks!
PT7

BrokenolMarine wrote:Spring has sprung and is busting out all over.
When we bought this place twenty plus years ago, there were no porches, and the house sat bare, in the middle of a bare clay bulldozed two acre cleared lot with the trunks and debris from clearing the lot pushed up around the edges like a frontier barrier. ;) Two decades of work show what is possible. It has looked better..... but we still like the color.......the Rose Club was there and suggested Knock Out roses instead. We now have a hedge line of Knock Out Roses. They will bloom soon and bloom until late October or November.... it's a huge attraction for the butterflies and the hummingbirds. 8-) ..... anchor pieces, including the Japanese Maples, the Coral Bark Maple and the Smoke Tree........Last year, we added fruit trees to the back yard. Wanting to shade the back of the house, we added three River Birches, and a pair of Dogwoods.....the Birches are flourishing and the last two years have really done the job. The river birches are interesting visually, as the bark peels. 8-)
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 pm

2 decades of excellent work coming to fruition .... nicely done
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 am

Beautiful vegetation Marine. You and Miss Tina have done a very nice job. Those photographs are very nice. It is great to see everything growing so nicely.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun May 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Pride of ownership shining at every turn. Home sweet home.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Ya and Im jealous because I know that Marine has a shooting range right there close by.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:37 pm

wow sir you have stolen the dreams straight from wife and i head, that is one fine homestead
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom