Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Water/No Water

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Water/No Water

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:21 pm

Just have to vent a bit here. We are currently up at the cabin but went back home to Hendersonville for 3 days last week. When we arrived there we walked into Carol's house to find a flooded kitchen. The water line on the fridge to the dispenser/ice maker had developed a pin hole leak. Must have been leaking for a couple weeks. The whole floor was all buckled up and ruined. I spent two days tearing up the floor so it could dry up while we are at the cabin. Will have to have the floor replaced after we close the cabin for the winter....BUMMER! 😣

Now to the cabin. Yesterday morning we woke up and discovered we have NO water. Our local plumbing company sent two guys out this morning. They determined that the well pump had gone bad. Yippie....
Our well is 720 feet deep and on a slope beside the gravel driveway. It took them quite a while just to position the small boom truck they brought for pulling the well pipe out. Another challenge for them was that the pipe is galvanized, (VERY HEAVY). When they got set up and started to pull the pipe up, they could not keep the boom positioned well enough because they had a slight hydraulic leak and their outriggers kept moving. We now contacted the original company that drilled the well about 20 years ago and they're supposed to show up in the morning. 🤞🤞

We're just hoping and praying the financial bleeding stops soon...OH! we also discovered that the chimney pipes on our old Franklin wood stove are rusted out and need to be replaced as well.

2023 has NOT been a good year for either of us. :(
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Water/No Water

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Would be interested in knowing what your pump replacement cost ends up being. Our's is similar as it is on galvanized pipe but is only set at around 320'. Our pump has been in the ground since 1987 so it's on borrowed time. I wonder if we will also need to replace our pressure tanks as they are the same age as the pump.

I was looking at the newer double walled chimney pipe and it looks like you can spend almost as much on a chimney as on the stove.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:02 pm

dave77 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 pm
Would be interested in knowing what your pump replacement cost ends up being. Our's is similar as it is on galvanized pipe but is only set at around 320'. Our pump has been in the ground since 1987 so it's on borrowed time. I wonder if we will also need to replace our pressure tanks as they are the same age as the pump.

I was looking at the newer double walled chimney pipe and it looks like you can spend almost as much on a chimney as on the stove.
Dave, I will be happy to post the pump price after we get the bill. It's going to be a 1.5 HP, three wire. Fortunately they said our pressure tank is fine.
As far as the chimney pipes go...you are absolutely right. I think that repair/replacement is probably going to have to wait till next year.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:01 pm

Bummer. Keep us posted.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:02 pm
.... I think that repair/replacement is probably going to have to wait till next year.
Hopefully the stove pipe is rusted out in such a way that rain water can't get in.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:56 pm

Mags wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 pm
markiver54 wrote:
.... I think that repair/replacement is probably going to have to wait till next year.
Hopefully the stove pipe is rusted out in such a way that rain water can't get in.
For now we're safe from that. Yet another expense that I didn't mention is that when we had our large screened porch built back in 2018, the crew that did it also installed the metal roof. Well...they were good framers, and we got a beautiful porch as a result, however, they knew nothing about metal roofing so it was done wrong. The result was many leaks inside on the ceilings. Two weeks ago, we hired a metal roofing contractor and they fixed that to the tune of almost $5k +. they are the ones that discovered the rusted out chimney pipes. They removed them and just covered that area with a metal roof panel until we can have the new chimney installed. Again...It's been a very expensive year! I'm starting to think there is a curse on us. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:33 pm

markiver54 wrote:
dave77 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Dave, I will be happy to post the pump price after we get the bill. It's going to be a 1.5 HP, three wire. Fortunately they said our pressure tank is fine.
As far as the chimney pipes go...you are absolutely right. I think that repair/replacement is probably going to have to wait till next year.

Great, that's the same size pump we have. I'm thinking the labor cost is going to be considerably more than the cost of the pump.😱
2 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:45 pm

I am very sorry about all of your sudden repair issues. I hope that the outfit with the leaking hydraulics did not charge you as they showed up and didn't have the proper functioning hoist to do the job.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:46 pm

Sorry for all the issues Mark hope it all works out and isnt to terrible on the pocketbook. One thing I always do when I leave my house for a period of time is turn off the water to the washer and turn off the ice maker line on the fridge. Dont need any water running upstairs with a basement.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:30 am

Travlin wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:45 pm
I am very sorry about all of your sudden repair issues. I hope that the outfit with the leaking hydraulics did not charge you as they showed up and didn't have the proper functioning hoist to do the job.
Fortunately, they did not charge us, as it was their faulty equipment.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry