Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting/Fishing hut

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Cattle Driver
Australia

Hunting/Fishing hut

Post by 220 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Decided to build a hunting/fishing hut up the farm.
Just somewhere for a weekend or to hang out and not worry about farm stuff.
Have what I think is the perfect location, a small island in the middle of the creek. Only just and island, about 150' long and 45' wide at its widest' Channels around it are only about 12' wide but never go dry. A good chance of catching fish right around it and I have shot half a dozen sambar deer within 400y.

Overgrown with blackberries woody weeds and a tangle on fallen timber. When son and his girlfriend were home a few weeks ago we were looking for something to fill in a few hours so made a start on clearing it. Managed to hack, pull and pile most of the blackberries woody weeds and smaller timber over over a week. Just waiting for it to dry a bit so I can drop a match in it.

Having made a start on clearing it decided decent access to the island would be a good first step. Water isnt much more than 2 feet deep but cold in summer and freezing at this time of year. We had been keeping our feet dry by climbing over a bit of a choke in the creek but hard enough to do without carrying anything so some decent access is needed before anything really progresses.
A footbridge wide enough for the bike towing cement mixer, trailer etc is what I have decided to go for. Found a nice straight messmate and dropped it on the weekend. Left it at 80' long positioned it and then pushed one end across the creek with the tractor. Once it was landed on the island cut the remainder off lifted it on top of the first log and pushed it across safely landing it on the island. Getting them into their final position was a bit more work, easy on the side with tractor access but had to resort to a comalong slings and chain to drag them into position on the island.

Pulling logs into final position

Next job was to start cutting some slabs for the deck, decided on 5'6" wide and 2" thick, more than wide enough for a foot bridge and will allow me to get the 4 wheeler across but narrow enough to stop anyone thinking about taking anything bigger across.
Ended up with about enough for half the bridge first cutting session

To square up the edges I have just been using a circular saw and straight edge

Things slowed down for the next few weeks, a run in with a ram put me off my feet and on crutches for a little bit. Gave me a chance to watch a heap of videos on chainsaw slabbing and try and improve what I have been doing.
Finally got around to making up a decent rail setup for the first cut, also decided to spend more money and upgrade the milling attachment. I have been using a mini alaskan mill, really only designed for a short bar and with the bar only being supported at the saw end a slightly dull chain or any other number of reasons can see the bar flex slightly resulting in slabs that are tapered from side to side. Hopefully the larger milling attachment that supports the bar both ends solves that issue. The new mill will also allow the use of bar lengths up to 36" if I do decide on a saw upgrade.
With a new milling attachment all the videos I had watched had given me a few ideas on a setup for squaring the sides of logs before cutting the first slab. I made up a skid to slide on the rails, cut the clamp arrangement of the mini mill replace the 1" rhs attached to it with threaded bar and used it to attach to the skid.
Felt up to giving the new and improved setup a run yesterday. The rail and skid worked even better than I hoped for. rails were extremely stable and very easy to level. Skid setup worked really well, having it attached to the skid with the treaded bar in use allows you to pivot the saw on the bar just like you would using dogs on the saw in a log. I didnt take a lot of the sides of the log, will still need to square the sides on some of the slabs but just taking the bow and some sapwood off the logs has reduced the bar length needed to slab by 5-6". Ran the skid with one of my little saws to save swapping the big saw over so ended up a bit short on bar length. Still went well, where I hadnt cut fully through it was easy enough to freehand the remainder of the cut.
Things didnt go as smoothly when I started the slabbing, only got about a yard into the first cut when I blew the nose sprocket on the bar that put an end to the day. Will have to wait until I can give it a proper workout before I can see if it is an improvement.

The new rails and skid attachment in action
7 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hunting/Fishing hut

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:15 pm

OUTSTANDING .... that is a really nice project that will take a good deal of time, talent and work to complete .... thanks for taking us along, I'm really looking forward to following our progress
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:18 pm

After a broken leg then jumping back on the tools for a few weeks no progress at all on my build for a few months.
I did manage an hour cutting a few more slabs today, log that I squared the side up on a few months ago, new 24" bar and skip tooth chain. I was surprised I did as much as I did in the time, log is 3.8m long and cut 3 slabs off it so 4 cuts with the first to take the round off. Chain was blunt by the end but around 15m of cutting and 2 tanks of fuel.

Using the rails to take make the first cut

Last cut today, no need for rails after the first cut as you have a flat level top from the previous cut

With a bit of luck I might get the bridge done in the next week or so, Want to slab the top of the logs I have across the creek to level them up and get rid of the sap wood so the planks are secured into decent timber and sit squarely on them.
5 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:19 pm

Wow I’m impressed with your talent.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:36 pm

remarkable .... as already noted, enjoying following your progress .... you sure are giving you Stihl workout .. :D
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:29 pm

Cant fault the stihls, using an older 381 for the slabbing running a 24" bar with skip tooth chain. That is about as big a bar as it will run in our Aus hardwoods, With the current stihl lineup I would need to step up to a 661 or 881 for an increase in performance.
The arrangement I have made to square the sides first has reduced the need for a longer bar. These slabs were almost 16" wide, without squaring the sides a 30" bar may not have been long enough for the job.
Price of stihl saws is really getting up there and if I go a bigger saw think I will take a gamble on one of the chinese copies. The older 660 copies are less than 25% off the current stihl equivalent.
2 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:19 pm

Managed to square the top of the bridge logs and start laying some planks, happy enough with how it is coming together.

5 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:19 am

No danger of flooding on this creek?
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:32 am

Not that will pose a risk to the bridge, 2 channels around the island can carry a fair volume and a flood channel about 25y upstream of the bridge it spills into in a big flood that keeps it below the bridge height.
2 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:21 am

Bridge is 95% complete, just a couple of boards that are sitting a little high I will run the plane over at a later date when I have a genny out there.

Couldnt resist having a quick fish off the bridge when I was done. Caught a stick first cast and a little brown trout second cast, would be lucky to be much over 6" but still a fish :lol:
3 x