Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cutting the hay...

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Cutting the hay...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:24 am

Our guy came out and cut the hay this afternoon. We finally found someone who can / will do it. The last two years Tina has just kept the tops clipped to prevent weed growth, sprayed as needed, and then bushhogged if it got out of hand. We had just four cows for most of that time, but they did a pretty good job on it thru the three seasons. We just needed hay in the winter. We are doing a split with the hay guy... so no cost to us and we should get enough for the winter. Next year, we'll get two cuttings.

pan shot hay cut comp.jpg
pan shot hay cut comp.jpg (907.8 KiB) Viewed 1543 times

I think the hay fields are beautiful. He'll rake tomorrow, and bale tomorrow evening or Monday.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Cutting the hay...

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:19 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:24 am
Our guy came out and cut the hay this afternoon. We finally found someone who can / will do it. The last two years Tina has just kept the tops clipped to prevent weed growth, sprayed as needed, and then bushhogged if it got out of hand. We had just four cows for most of that time, but they did a pretty good job on it thru the three seasons. We just needed hay in the winter. We are doing a split with the hay guy... so no cost to us and we should get enough for the winter. Next year, we'll get two cuttings.

I think the hay fields are beautiful. He'll rake tomorrow, and bale tomorrow evening or Monday.
I like to see them with the bales in the field.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:21 am

I love the smell of fresh cut hay.
4 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:25 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:19 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I'll sometimes stop and take pictures if I get the right angle and the sun is right. Makes nice wallpaper for the computer. I lost all the ones I had saved when the virus killed the old computer. I hadn't backed "those" up. :roll:
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:41 am

Beautiful yes but after spending 10 years stacking bales and then unstacking to feed horses some of the beauty has waned. :lol: But since it’s been eight years since I last touched a bale I’m starting to see the beauty again. The locals are starting the first cut right now. At my last place there was a huge hay field directly across the road and for the second or third cut (he irrigated) often he would bale at night. I loved the sound of the bailer thump thumping quietly in the distance.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:08 am

Thirty years ago, when Tina and I first married... she had a horse. A few years later, she had more than one. She managed horse barns during the early years of the marriage when we lived on the single acre in the small house with four kids. In exchange for the barn management, she would get stall space, ring time, and the opportunity to train horses and teach riding to various students. This funded the grain and vet bills. Her hobby rarely cost us anything. Hay? We would throw hay with local farms and take our pay in square bales. Yes, I remember that the hay looked beautiful laying in the field, until those 600 bales laying in the field looked a LOT like work. :twisted:

Now, they bale round bales and we move them with the tractor. Move them into the barn and close the gate, then pull one out and drop it, put a ring around it and they eat it. Pull another out and drop the ring around it... they eat it. The tractor does MOST of the work. Last year the 60 acres across our east fence line got cut.... baled... it was beautiful.
cut.jpg
cut.jpg (366.37 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

It laid in the field less than a day.

lined to load.jpg
lined to load.jpg (600.09 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

The owner and his son had it lined up and ready to load on the custom hay trailers and gone in two days. Hay was so scarce last year, bales would disappear if left in the field too long.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:35 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:25 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:19 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I'll sometimes stop and take pictures if I get the right angle and the sun is right. Makes nice wallpaper for the computer. I lost all the ones I had saved when the virus killed the old computer. I hadn't backed "those" up. :roll:
This is from last summer. I’ll be gone to Alaska this year about the time they hay. This is a 3X telephoto view from my front deck.
40227914-99E9-4B01-AE05-EE8AB28D0F1D.jpeg
40227914-99E9-4B01-AE05-EE8AB28D0F1D.jpeg (557.78 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
They only left the bales in the field about two days.
0D921D35-F934-4179-88BD-10DAD6E0AB2B.jpeg
0D921D35-F934-4179-88BD-10DAD6E0AB2B.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 1519 times
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:46 pm

We are feeding out now to the cattle, alpaca, goats and deer.
20230629_094456.jpg
20230629_094456.jpg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 1484 times
[
20230629_092818.jpg
20230629_092818.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 1484 times
20230629_092129.jpg
20230629_092129.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 1484 times
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:16 pm

Nice...
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:21 pm

John M wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:46 pm
We are feeding out now to the cattle, alpaca, goats and deer.
Such a beautiful place. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing these photos with us.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"